Questions about gas ducting and pipe sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I'm about to start groundworks for building an office at the other end of the garden. We're digging a trench for water, and will install ducting for comms and electricity at the same time. We're also debating putting a gas duct in, as we may want to run gas as well at some point later, and I'd rather put the duct in now rather than have to re-open the trench later.

However... the trench will run for approximately 70 metres around the garden perimeter (avoiding septic tank etc), which is fine for cables and water, but will that work ok for gas pipe? And what size pipe would it need to be for a run that length? (My run will have corners, so just defaulting to massive pipe isn't without its own problems).

Also adding to my dilemma is that the gas currently enters the property at the front, and the ducting will be at the back. I can't go around the house. So the ducting will only be useful if it is permitted to run a pipe through the house (possibly in a small duct embedded in the floor screed??) in order to run out of the back of the house, back into a larger diameter pipe (I presume?) and through the underground ducting to the office.

So.... to clarify my questions:
Is it permitted to run a pipe for gas through a duct in floor screed just to get it to the rear of a property?
If yes, presumably it would have to be a smallish pipe (maybe 20-25mm?).
If that pipe then was then to run into a longer run (70m), is it helpful, desirable, or necessary to step-up to a larger diameter pipe?
And if so, what is a sensible size pipe for such a run? (Thus determining my duct diameter!)

For the record, I am simply installing ducting at the moment, not touching anything with gas in it. And I'm at least a year or two away from needing a gas installer, so I'm not yet in contact with one.

I hope that makes some sense?? Too many questions in my head!

Many thanks in advance!
Rich

Sponsored Links
thats a helluva pipe run ,for that length of pipe you would be up at 35/42mm right from the very start of run by gas meter.
what are you thinking of running off it in future

Sponsored Links
thats a helluva pipe run ,for that length of pipe you would be up at 35/42mm right from the very start of run by gas meter.
what are you thinking of running off it in future

It'll just run a domestic boiler - max 24kw, though smaller will be fine, and possibly a gas hob.

You could well be in the territory of need an additional service brought in from the road, directly into the new building for this. If gas is a necessity, may be simpler to look at LPG, Natural gas supplied from the house over that distance may simply not work.

You could well be in the territory of need an additional service brought in from the road, directly into the new building for this. If gas is a necessity, may be simpler to look at LPG, Natural gas supplied from the house over that distance may simply not work.

+1
Was thinking exact same Hugh (y)

But if I do that I'll contravene the permitted development criteria of 'building incidental to the main residence' because it will have its own meter, billing, etc (presumably?)

What sort of maximum length can I get away with if using a 32mm pipe?

Then give proper information about the current and proposed set up.
What more do you need to know? Current set up is irrelevant as it is to be demolished and rebuilt. But gas pipe will still need to go through the building - embedded in a duct in the floor screed. The purpose of this thread is to refine my plans and ideas into something that will work - or lead me to sack the idea and run it all off electricity instead.

I'm about to start groundworks for building an office at the other end of the garden.
How is an office "required for a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwellinghouse?"

It sounds as if you are making assumptions rather than asking the council for a definitive ruling.

An office would be liable to business rates.

:rolleyes:
Like I said, I'm not seeking planning permission advice. Otherwise I'd have posted in the planning permission section. Thanks for the input though.

It has absolutely nothing to do with planning permission. In fact that's almost funny.
Building control don't define pipe diameters; they leave that to the experts. (I've checked).
I was hoping to find a helpful expert on here to... help...

Never mind. One can only ask. I knew it was a long shot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back