Questions about installing new central heating system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, We are about to have the warm air heating system replaced with a brand new wet system and I wondered if somebody might be able to answer a couple of questions please. We have a typical style 4 bed detached 70’s house with big windows and concrete downstairs floors. We have one bathroom, a downstairs cloakroom, kitchen and utility room that need water. We have been quoted for a Vailant ecoTec plus 32 combi boiler with 11 radiators and a Honeywell T6R thermostat. The heating engineer has advised that he will need to drop down from upstairs to feed the lower radiators due to the concrete lower floors. He is planning to run central pipes along the landing, run from this to each bedroom and from each bedroom down to the floor below. There will be three down feeds to cover the hall, lounge and dining room. The kitchen and cloakroom will hopefully be run direct as they back on to the utility room where the boiler will be. Question 1: being that the hot water from the boiler will be serving upstairs first and then dropping downstairs, will the radiators downstairs still be hot enough being that they will be on the end of the piping runs. I am sorry if this is a stupid question but, having had warm air for the past 22 years, I am not up on the latest boilers, etc. I am just concerned that downstairs is probably more important than upstairs as regards the heat. Question 2: The engineer has quoted for a wireless thermostat that we can put in any room. Our current stat is on the wall in the hall where we would really like the new one to be. Is there any real advantage in having the wireless version that can be moved? Question 3: Our neighbours have had their boiler installed in the loft. Is there any advantage to this? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
What your installer suggests will not coform withe the latest regulations for England and Wales, the donstairs and upstairs have to be on their own zones witha sperate thermostat for downstairs and upstairs, unless you install a smart system with wifi radiator valves and a hub that controls the boiler, standard TRV s need a room thermostat, Dont install the boiler in the loft, you will need a lot more work, and if you need to top up the pressure or adjust anything you will have to go into the loft to do it, you can use a wireless stat and put it on the wall where the existing one is if you want

What your installer suggests will not coform withe the latest regulations for England and Wales, the donstairs and upstairs have to be on their own zones witha sperate thermostat for downstairs and upstairs, unless you install a smart system with wifi radiator valves and a hub that controls the boiler, standard TRV s need a room thermostat, Dont install the boiler in the loft, you will need a lot more work, and if you need to top up the pressure or adjust anything you will have to go into the loft to do it, you can use a wireless stat and put it on the wall where the existing one is if you want

Thanks for coming back. They have quoted for 11 radiators with TRV’s and a single Honeywell T6R smart thermostat. They did not mention anything about different zones upstairs and downstairs and having another thermostat upstairs. Two of our neighbours have had similar completely new systems fitted over the past year and they only have the one thermostat downstairs so have the rules recently changed. I guess I need to go back to the heating company about this. Thanks

Sponsored Links
What your installer suggests will not coform withe the latest regulations for England and Wales, the donstairs and upstairs have to be on their own zones witha sperate thermostat for downstairs and upstairs
According to the current Building Services Compliance Guide (2013 Edition with 2018 amendments) that only applies to dwellings with a total floor area greater than 150 m². A single zone is acceptable if the total floor area is 150m² or less.

According to the current Building Services Compliance Guide (2013 Edition with 2018 amendments) that only applies to dwellings with a total floor area greater than 150 m². A single zone is acceptable if the total floor area is 150m² or less.

Thanks for the information. I have just had a measure and I think we have total floor space around 126m2 (measured total size downstairs and times by 2 to cover upstairs) so this means that we should be ok with the single zone? So combi boiler with the one T6R stat would be ok? We have had 4 quotes including British Gas and all have only mentioned the single thermostat. Thanks

NewBuildInspections seem to be relying on out-of-date second-hand information! Why don't they go to a reliable source? I wouldn't trust them to inspect anything.

Honeywell are not much better!

Thanks for all the information. I will need to go back to the heating engineer to find out about the zones which it looks like we need from what is being said? Could I just check the question about the pipework that it would be ok with three drops from above. There would be enough heat still to heat the lower radiators. Thanks

Yes drop feed is the only way you can do it and wont be a problem, cant be of much help with Part L and Boiler plus schemes as I am in Scotland and we dont have them @D_Hailsham will know more than me about them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back