Questions on fitting wood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I am fitting solid wood flooring to the entire ground floor of my house. This comprises the lounge and kitchen and a small (1.5 m long) hallway connecting the two. Lounge and kitchen are around 4 m by 4 m dimension.

I have a few questions and would be grateful if someone could help me out.

Firstly, the kitchen floor is 18 mm chipboard, with the exception of a small (1.6 m by 0.6 m) area in the kitchen which is a concrete screed where the chimney breast has been knocked out. The concrete is completely dry (and there is a cellar below so no chance of moisture migrating through it). What would you recommend the best way of fitting the floor, considering the above?

Nailing is out as I cant nail where the small concrete area is. That leaves me with gluing or floating the floor. I was thinking of floating the floor on 3 mm foam underlay, and PVA gluing all joints. Would this be ok?

Secondly, I would like to run the flooring though the rooms and hallway without the use of thresholds in the doorways. Is there any reason why I couldnt do this? I am planning to undercut the door frames to allow the appropriate expansion gap.

Finally, I am looking at either 73 mm or 123 mm width solid acacia flooring. Would either of these widths be suitable, from a fitting point of view?

Thank you very much in advance for any help or assistance.

Cheers

Richard

Sponsored Links
Any ideas? I have looked through previous posts and found some useful information but not quite the same as what I am planning to do...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back