Laying a solid oak floor over timber and concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I`m going to be laying solid oak tongue and groove flooring in our living room and through to the kitchen.

90% is currently timber floorboards and we have a bit of concrete around the chimney breast and some edging area.

I`m unsure of which underlay to use (or even if i have to use underlay) - there`s a lot of conflicting info out there!

I plan to run the new flooring at 90 degrees to the current flooring and was going to float the flooring with the T & G glued together on top of a wood fibre underlay with a 15mm expansion gap round the room under the skirting board, but now having read various articles, i`m not sure thats right - i`ve read some articles where they secret nail the solid floor to the old timber flooring.

I`m also not sure if i need a DPM? My floor has a 2 foot void under it at the moment.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks, Mike

Sponsored Links
If your floor is flat and even I would glue the solid oak down using Rewmar MS Polymer Adhesive/Sika 54 or similar.

you could put some ply down first if you wanted to

Thanks - I had a good look at the instructions tonight and they say I can use self adhesive underlay, glue directly to the floor or secret nail it down, so I think I'm going to go with the self adheisive underlay.

My wood flooring is fairly level and I've been going round screwing loose and creaky floor boards to the joists.

Just watched a couple of videos on YouTube and it's looks fairly straight forward - fingers crossed

Sponsored Links
Hi, just one last question - is it best lay all the underlay for the room out first it do the room in sections?

Cheers, mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back