Questions on new supply pipe (from water co's stop tap into

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you can advise me?

I need to run a new supply pipe from the stop-cock in my front garden into my house to replace the existing one which came up in a now removed cupboard. I've had a search online and can only find limited information, my questions are;

1, Works are notifiable if pipe depth is less than 750mm or greater than 1350mm. My stop-cock is about 450 to 500mm below ground, do I need to notify, bearing in mind the existing seems to be outside of the prescribed depths?

2, Entry into the house; I could break out some floor and run a 'slow / easy' 45 degree subduct in which the new plastic pipe would run. (I'm sure I read this is as per the regs?) Alternatively, could I run the pipe up externally, say to a height of 400 to 500mm above dpc level, create an insulated accessable enclosure with a stop tap to make it look pretty, change over to copper and then go inside via a sleeved hole through the cavity wall? This is a much easier option, would it be acceptable to the rules and regs? (seems a great idea to me, don't new houses have this anyway in one those rather fetching and stylish white plastic boxes on the wall?)

3, Chrolination and cleaning? Is this neccessary, again are there any rules and regs or if not, are there any best practice things I could do.

Any help, advise or suggestions much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Colin_p said:
1, Works are notifiable if pipe depth is less than 750mm or greater than 1350mm. My stop-cock is about 450 to 500mm below ground, do I need to notify, bearing in mind the existing seems to be outside of the prescribed depths?

The existing pipe probably has the benefit of being installed legally at the time.
You have two options regarding the depth:
1) Install the new pipe at 750mm and duct/insulate the pipe where it rises to less than 750mm.
2) Install the new pipe at the existing depth and duct/insulate along the full length.

2, Entry into the house; I could break out some floor and run a 'slow / easy' 45 degree subduct in which the new plastic pipe would run. (I'm sure I read this is as per the regs?)

Yes, but it is usually a slow 90 degree sweep bend. Must be of sufficient size to accomodate insulation (usually minimum 90mm for 25mmPE pipe + 32mm wall Armaflex)

Alternatively, could I run the pipe up externally, say to a height of 400 to 500mm above dpc level, create an insulated accessable enclosure with a stop tap to make it look pretty, change over to copper and then go inside via a sleeved hole through the cavity wall?

There are commercially available products that comply with the regs such as "insuduct". Bear in mind that the pipe must be insulated and ducted from 750mm deep and above so you may need two if the pipe will be going 400-500mm up the wall.

This is a much easier option, would it be acceptable to the rules and regs?

Yes, but only if installed correctly.

(seems a great idea to me, don't new houses have this anyway in one those rather fetching and stylish white plastic boxes on the wall?)

No, the pipe enters the property in the conventional manner (750mm deep), comes up inside the property and into the back of the "intex" box, throught the meter and back into the property.

3, Chlorination and cleaning? Is this neccessary, again are there any rules and regs or if not, are there any best practice things I could do.

Most fittings and pipe are clean and sealed anyway. Provided you don't allow anything to get inside the pipe then you should be ok. If you wish to chlorinate then speak to your local plumbers merchant about chloros solution and how best to use it.

What material pipe are you replacing? Your local Water Co may have a scheme to provide a new connection free if it is a non-preferred material (lead/galvanised steel).

Have you called your local Water Co's Water Regulations section for advice? They may be able to give on-site advice better than anyone can over t'internet.

Many thanks for taking the time for such a detailed reply.

The existing pipe from what I can gather is steel. As I would be replacing the service on my side of the 'tap' I wouldn't think I'd qualify for anything free ?

I've tried to re-search South East Waters bylaws online but they don't seem to publish any information. I'm loatheed to contact them as no doubt it will incur costs, certainly more than the £50-£60 I've budgeted to do this myself. I also want to avoid any situation where they could force me into having a meter installed, us being a family of four.

Sponsored Links
Colin_p said:
Many thanks for taking the time for such a detailed reply.

The existing pipe from what I can gather is steel. As I would be replacing the service on my side of the 'tap' I wouldn't think I'd qualify for anything free ?

I've tried to re-search South East Waters bylaws online but they don't seem to publish any information. I'm loatheed to contact them as no doubt it will incur costs, certainly more than the £50-£60 I've budgeted to do this myself. I also want to avoid any situation where they could force me into having a meter installed, us being a family of four.

I think your budget may be a little naive. Unless you are taking it to the correct depth then the ducting and insulation will push the costs up considerably. As will the use of an insuduct or other similar product.

The conventional method of entering the building is the hardest work but (usually) the cheapest/most cost effective option if not paying labour costs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back