Questions re: mains halogen downlights and dimmer switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Complete novice here.

I'm project managing a refurbishment in which we are supplying pretty much everything and a contractor is installing. I'm having to make a lot of decisions about stuff I know nothing about.

I want to purchase our light fitting and switches and would be grateful for some advice.

Firstly: Do I need to buy fire-rated downlights? They're more expensive and we're on a budget, but equally I don't want the house to burn down or to have an issue with Building Regs.

Secondly, if I have 2 circuits of 4 lights (240V fittings with 50W lamps), i,e, 8 in total in my living room, I assume a 2G2W dimmer cabable of controlling 250W is okay, on the basis that each circuit is only 200W? Or does the dimmer need to be able to control the full 800W?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
If the lights are in a house, and there are no other dwellings above, then the ceiling doesn't need ot be fire rated, and you can use normal downlights.

To control 200 watts of halogen lights, you need a 400 watt dimmer due to the loading characteristics of halogen lamps. Therefore you need to try and find a 2G 400w dimmer!!!

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLIQ1402.html

Thats one, but its a varilight touch control, not sure if thats what you want, but i recommend them highly. If you need 2-way control, you need the varilight slave controllers.

Sadly i cant find a standard 400w2g2w dimmer on tlc

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back