Questions...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The scenario is this.....a small timber framed bungalow, with a chicken wire pebbledash render over featherboarding with all the old lath and plaster walls and ceilings having been removed.The floor is a suspended wooden floor.

The intent is to be able to use this property for rental but to do this it requires full modernisation which will include gas central heating having never had such a system....my understanding is that the person who lived there previously used electric heaters to keep her from freezing. It currently already has double glazing but I am aware that there is a fine balance when seeking to modernise such a property whilst not compromising the building and creating problems.

Which brings me on to my questions....will seeking to insulate the 4 inch cavity between the featherboarding and what will be the internal walls create a damp / condensation problem (which may eventually damage the timbers?)

What would be the most appropriate material to use for insulating such a cavity as I am sure any potential tennants will appreciate the heat they pay for to be retained within the building rather than lost immediately.

I noted that under the the two windows somebody had used foil backed plasterboard...and it was slightly damp to touch in comparison to other areas. Will using modern plasterboard with a skim create an ongoing problem? If so what would be the most appropriate material?

Many thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
did the foil back board have a membrane over the studs before the board was placed and was it insulated aswell (in that particular area)

Sponsored Links
You need to use a breathable insulation and I would use builders paper as well. See why the area with the foil backing has higher moisture. With window areas It's been known for people to use foil backed moisture board for extra protection but if it is damp to the touch I would suspect some problem in that area. Investigate that area and fix if required. I can't see a problem with boarding it out and using gypsum but I would add a small vent to help circulastion. You have to take care what insulation you use, I would use wool, or you could rot the whole frame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back