Quick Mot question Re srs light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just a quick one, if the srs light is taped over so it can't be seen is it a fail nowadays, I know some rules changed recently ish.

A mate has a qashqai, it needs a new clock spring but the one he's ordered it turns out is coming from Germany so won't be here till next week, its in for test tomorrow.

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Depends whether the tester notices it really. The tester should check that it comes on and then goes out when it should. You might be lucky…….

Is that part of the new rule changes? It used to be a fail of it indicated a fault and couldn't fail if you couldn't be seen

Hi,

Just a quick one, if the srs light is taped over so it can't be seen is it a fail nowadays, I know some rules changed recently ish.

A mate has a qashqai, it needs a new clock spring but the one he's ordered it turns out is coming from Germany so won't be here till next week, its in for test tomorrow.

Thanks
Chris
I was thinking of ABS with the light coming on and going out, apologies, I haven’t tested for a few years now!

For SRS, this is the actual wording in the manual. I would imagine if the tester sees the taped over MIL they will fail it.

7.1.6. Supplementary restraint system (SRS)​

The SRS MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) should only be failed if it is indicating a system malfunction. A lamp illuminated to indicate the passenger airbag is disabled is not to be regarded as a defect.

Warning messages on dashboard displays are not a defect in their own right, but may assist the tester in determining that the warning lamp is illuminated because a malfunction exists.

DefectCategory
(a) An SRS malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) indicates a system malfunction

Sponsored Links
So in the opinion of the tester used, tape over the light isn't acceptable but disabling the light by removing the wire to it behind the speedo is, but in a moment of irony by the time my mate got back from the test to look at disabling the light the new clock spring had arrived which once fitted and the error code erased has fixed the issue.

So in the opinion of the tester used, tape over the light isn't acceptable
Definitely - how would the driver see if a fault has cropped up? On the other hand, yes, removing or disconnecting the bulb would not be able to be proven by the tester as they are not allowed to remove anything to check and there is no failure option for that light not working. Same as a rear centre brake light - a failure if not working ONLY if the tester can prove it has not been disconnected. Glad you're call sorted now/ (y)

Fail to see the difference personally, if it's taped over the tester can't determine if the bulb is on or off same as if it's disabled, the test manual doesn't allow the tester to make assumptions about what may or may not be under the tape but as you said, it's all sorted now

A tester can remove anything to help determine the test that does not need tools to remove.

Sponsored Links
Back