quick n dirty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Running power (240v) supply up tree to light. Does this supply have to be SWA or can it be flexible conduit with T&E cable.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It will have to be suitable for the environment it is installed, you will have to take provision for tree grow not damaging the cable

Jumping on this one for a freebie...

Is there a flex suitable for such a job- thought I had read as such? Ta.

CG

30 meters of flexible conduit is cheap enough £3, and glands cheap at £2, adaptable box or conduit box etc. again cheap enough, however you would not want to use a flat cable, although you can get special glands to seal on oval cable, 90% are designed for round cable, and if outside needs to be black to resist UV light and as long as the cable is reasonably protected it does not in real terms matter that much what cable is used, although we would normally use a tough cables, trees move, and it may be better to use flex, not tight of course it needs to move without causing strain. Of course RCD protected but use common sense, you don't want the cable strained as the tree moves in wind or grows.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your input people, just adding after doing a bit of research i see trees grow outwards not upwards (may be obvious to some!), so you have more chance of your clips being swallowed than the cable being stretched, i stand to be corrected here.
Hmm on reflection yes it's almost easier as you say to run SWA straight into boxes with glands. Didn't think about non round cable into gland, detail like that i missed.
Although i was just going to use 20mm female connectors onto the end of the flexible conduit to connect to my ip rated junc box, not as weather proof as glands i agree.

Thanks for your input people, just adding after doing a bit of research i see trees grow outwards not upwards (may be obvious to some!), so you have more chance of your clips being swallowed than the cable being stretched...
I think what you probably mean is that the upward growth only occurs at the top, whereas outward growth occurs throughout the length. If there were no 'upward growth', we would have pretty small trees :)

To be a little more serious, I have seen a situation in which, after many years, not only the clips but entire lengths of cable had been 'swallowed' by a tree.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back