Quick query from balancing rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been trying in vain for ages to balance and getting frustrated by failures.

Please confirm if I should leave all TRVs on flow side on fully open and attempt to balance only through adjustment of LS s on return side.

And if yes, can I then adjust TRV s after wards without unbalancing the system .

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes and yes.

It may be on a large house with 12 or more radiators or a badly piped system it is impossible to balance as the pump physically can't
satisfy all the radiators at once. However when the trv are set as they
close down when rooms get warm this should diverted water to ensure that the radiators around the house get supplied with water.

Actually, we do have 12 rads ! (Two of which are approx 2m length )

Boiler is vaillant ecotec 630 and at times I have wondered if it is powerful enough ...

Boiler is vaillant ecotec 630 and at times I have wondered if it is powerful enough ...

Rough guide is you need 1.5kW per radiator. Works reasonable well.
Most likely you the boiler is ok.
If this is a system boiler take a look at how the tank is connected.
Most likely the water is just shooting around the tank instead of the central
heating.

Sponsored Links

That's a 30kW boiler, so the rads would have to average 2.5kW for the boiler to be too small!. Your rad total is probably about 15-20kW. You can get a good approximation by using the Stelrad Elite Catalogue.

How to balance a CH system

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back