Quick question about opening size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just wanted to know how much of an opening width should I allow for from floor to header?

Average door height is 1981mm

So from the FFL + 6mm underlay + 12mm laminate timber + door lining 32mm + 3mm gap top and bottom = 2037mm?

Or is it better to undersize the opening and plane the door?

When I fit the header does it need to be spot on level or can it be there about level and the opening squared off by fitting the lining?

Thanks

P.S Studwork is 2x4

Sponsored Links
If you're building stud walls, allow 2100 if you don't know the final size requirement, you can put a packer in to suit if and when required.
It's always better to hang doors with no planing at all, if possible, but then that's a old piecemeal joiner for you, counting the pennies earn t.
Your calculations are spot on except for an allowance for out of trueness, I would always factor in about 1/8" (or 3.5 mm in modern terminology) i.e. floor not absolutely level, or a bit of warp in the door slap studs (always look out the straightest, least out of wind studs for your post slaps) You can pack any spaces and cover these with the wall board or the door architraves, as long as you're post legs are bang on straight/plumb and your header rail is at 45 deg. precisely, door hanging couldn't be simpler...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back