quick question before i call up a sparky

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just finished decorating a room, had it all planned in my head and when ive come to fit everything in the way i planned it doesn't fit, the bed is going to have to go in a completely different place, and now the sockets and switches need to be moved. I can live with them where they are for now but the main thing ill need eventually is some plugs behind the bed side tables in the new location.

the setup is all brand new wiring to regs installed last year by the same professional who will do this work if its possible.

the wall the the bed head is now on is a shared wall with a small bedroom the other side.

question instead of ripping up the new floorboards, new underlay, new carpet, new skirting and then chasing the walls and perhaps being murdered by the mrs. Can i chase the wall on the other side with the cables passing through the wall directly into the sockets, so i only have to chase out the socket on the other side of the wall, or would this be against regs because no one would know where the wires were?

if thats the case could you do the same but have a socket on both sides of the wall in the same place?

thanks

Sponsored Links
You can do what you suggest, if you have sockets on the other side of the wall, thereby creating safe zones in the other room and no additional buried cabling in the newly decorated room.

Of course, the cables must be run correctly in the other room, and this new work in the small bedroom must be RCD protected.

Your sparky will resolve all, and save you from the wrath of the missus....

Only for as long as the Mrs remains ignorant of such developments as tape measures and design tools, such as the free Sketchup, let alone graph paper and pencils....

to be fair its my fault, my sketchup skills are pretty decent, but i just rushed this room because im trying to get to the kitchen before the end of the month, i can only blame myself, which means she can blame me too ;) if id thought to properly measure the bed and done this in sketchup in the fisrt place we would nt be in this mess. annoyingly i had already modeled the room i just never used it :(

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back