Quick Question: Block or Brick to Attach Summer House Base to?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question as I need to do this soon...

Wall from outside in will be:

Renderboard -- 25mm air gap/battens -- || 12mm plywood -- 12mm OSB2 -- 96mm studwall || -- 12mm plasterboard

The part between || these lines || will rest on the perimeter bricks.

Should I do this (block will be cut down to correct size but is it the correct material for the job since it looks like a sponge!?):

UlCbQjm.jpg

or this (notice brick isn't wide enough for wall and maybe harder to drill into?):

M6hR7Id.jpg

As mentioned in other thread really don't wanna be drilling into the concrete base.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If you want a course of masonry, Id use a cheap stock brick. Or even better an engineering as they arent porous (a brickie might correct me on that).

For ease, I would set the studwork flush to the inside so you can clad over and hide.

Outside just allow the sheathing to be proud and run your battens down to wherever you want to finish.

Dont forget your insect mesh!

Ugh I'm not sure coming to this forum for advice was the best idea.

The DPC is down and appears to be OK where the bricks are laid on top... but the parts where there are no bricks has the DPC peeling (not adhered to mortar below).

I only had time to lay 8 bricks.

This has me worrying that even though the brick parts "look OK" once the wood stud work is secured to the bricks the whole thing will lift off with the walls if they are moved?

Common sense tells me that DPC should be above bricks below timber - but this forum says it should be below bricks - which might be fine with a whole brick wall but surely not for just 1 course?

:confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back