1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Question: Block or Brick to Attach Summer House Base to?

Discussion in 'Building' started by ILikeDIYS, 18 Aug 2019.

1. ILikeDIYS

ILikeDIYS

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Quick question as I need to do this soon...

Wall from outside in will be:

Renderboard -- 25mm air gap/battens -- || 12mm plywood -- 12mm OSB2 -- 96mm studwall || -- 12mm plasterboard

The part between || these lines || will rest on the perimeter bricks.

Should I do this (block will be cut down to correct size but is it the correct material for the job since it looks like a sponge!?):

[​IMG]

or this (notice brick isn't wide enough for wall and maybe harder to drill into?):

[​IMG]

As mentioned in other thread really don't wanna be drilling into the concrete base.

Thanks in advance.

2. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you want a course of masonry, Id use a cheap stock brick. Or even better an engineering as they arent porous (a brickie might correct me on that).

For ease, I would set the studwork flush to the inside so you can clad over and hide.

Outside just allow the sheathing to be proud and run your battens down to wherever you want to finish.

Dont forget your insect mesh!

3. ILikeDIYS

ILikeDIYS

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ugh I'm not sure coming to this forum for advice was the best idea.

The DPC is down and appears to be OK where the bricks are laid on top... but the parts where there are no bricks has the DPC peeling (not adhered to mortar below).

I only had time to lay 8 bricks.

This has me worrying that even though the brick parts "look OK" once the wood stud work is secured to the bricks the whole thing will lift off with the walls if they are moved?

Common sense tells me that DPC should be above bricks below timber - but this forum says it should be below bricks - which might be fine with a whole brick wall but surely not for just 1 course?

:confused: