Quick question: Dimming 6v LED plinthlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title, please can anyone tell me if I can dim 6v plinth/decking lights http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MiniSun-L...n-Plinth-Lights-Soffit-Lighting-/141630952575 with one of these http://www.ledssuperbright.com/led-dimmer-switch-12v-p-123
a28c2f00aaff1b0838b88aa66501cf8d.image.256x250.jpg
I don't want to cut the cable if its not going to work.
Thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
it entirely depends on the driver for the LEDs. I'd be surprised if they were direct to the 6v input

have you thought of splicing a usb cable in and testing via a usb adapter plug/or mobile power bank. they are usually 5v and low amp

Richard,
I know you said you do not want to cut the cable, but at these prices I would just buy one and try it out. And note that some have a plug and socket, does this fit your setup such that it fits between the "5 meters of cable between the plug and the first light":
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...ip+dimmer.TRS0&_nkw=led+strip+dimmer&_sacat=0

I have not used the one you showed, but as it says 12-24V I guess it is not suitable. I have used the Single Colour Strip LED DC 12V 12A RF Remote Controller Mini Dimmer Switch (flat remote with inline connector), and it works well on my 5m of LED strip lights. And this does say 5V to 12V, so might be better for you.

These units go between the Power Supply and the LEDs. Rather than reducing the Voltage, I presume it chops or puts a square wave frequency into the Voltage to reduce the brightness by making the light on less often.

However, from memory I am sure that the LED strip that I bought was classed as "dimable ", so not sure if will work for your lights. But please do tell us if it works.
SFK

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
That's a PWM dimmer. It says 12V though, not sure what it would do with 6V.

Not sure if the plinth lights are driven directly from a 6V DC supply. Very often they will have some sort of internal driver that would prevent the simmer from working. The flexible LED strips work with PWM dimmers, but anything with its own capacitors or more complicated driver circuitry won't.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I've been so long in replying , thanks to everyone.
Well I'm pleased to say it actually works OK, I simply introduced the dinner after the 6v dc transformer and have tested it continuously for the last week at various levels of brightness.
The plinth light instructions state that they should not be extended however I have another box which is identical apart from the number of lights (20 as opposed to 10) and a different branding. The transformer has the same spec and the plugs are identical.
At the moment I have 40 leds connected after the dimmer switch, the dimmer is turned nearly all the way down which gives a pleasing glow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back