Kitchen plinth and cabinet lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I get some advice with this please.
I want to be be able to operate all of these light from a light switch as opposed to a plug and socket.

The plinth lights have a plug and the cabinet lights require a transformer.

Can I do the following:
- treat the socket for the plinth lights (LAP Apollo White 15mm Outdoor LED Deck Light Kit Polished Stainless Steel 2.6W 10 x 2.5lm 10 Pack | Decking Lights | Screwfix.com) as a lighting point i.e. take a live in and out (to next light) and run a switch cable to my switch. Whenever this switch is activated, the socket will have power
- I can then have another leg of cable that goes from this socket to the next cabinet lights and from here to the next (cabinets are at different part of the room and not necessarily linked. Hence the need for these separate cable runs). All of these cable runs would be live when the switch is activated as they will be wired off the socket.

I intend to use 1.5mm cable for all of this. I think I did something similar a few years ago but doubting it now as I have a plug powered by a lighting circuit. It will only ever be used for this. Perhaps I can change the fuse in this plug to 5amp too?

Sponsored Links
The problem with that is that if ( when ) the "transformer" goes faulty and trips the MCB then until the lead can be removed from the junction box it may be impossible to reset the MCB
I may be being silly, but why would that be any different to any other PSU based LED lighting on the lighting circuit?

Sponsored Links
Will these be on a lighting circuit or fused connection unit, fused at 6A max?

It is not bad practise and is acceptable to both professional electricians and most importantly it is not banned by the people who write the regulations that aim to ensure electrical installations are safe.

Why can't you use the connector suggested in post 6?
I can remove the plug and whip on one of these connectors but the supply cables include a live in, live out, switch and another one to simultaneously power another set of plinth lights. This will require a junction box before I use the connector that’s being mentioned. Thought that the plug and socket would be simpler.

If you want to use a 13amp socket, this is fine - might be a good idea to really, because there will be a day when all that fancy lighting packs up, and when you buy your replacement kit, there will be a good chance the transformer will be one of those black things built into the plug (known as a wall wart).

And no, I can't see anyone prising off the plinth, and plugging in heaters and stuff.

If you like, print a nice label saying 'lighting only' and stick it on the socket.

when you buy your replacement kit, there will be a good chance the transformer will be one of those black things built into the plug
Is that the black bulky transformers you sometimes have - instead of a conventional plug? If yes, will the socket method on the lighting circuit suffice in that situation too? I assume that it comes down to the low amount of current these lights will be pulling.

Thanks for all the responses.

I can remove the plug and whip on one of these connectors but the supply cables include a live in, live out, switch and another one to simultaneously power another set of plinth lights. This will require a junction box before I use the connector that’s being mentioned. Thought that the plug and socket would be simpler.
Just to be fair to the connectors I mentioned, they are designed for direct connection to a lighting circuit - they are in effect a junction box, and do have 4 terminals on the female side for loop through - 5 terminal versions are also available!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back