Quick Question : Fitting Floor Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,
its Alex the semi-self builder (still enjoying the project) :)

My plasterers start on Monday & they will also be screeding the floor.

They don't want to work on top of the 70mm EcoTherm foil backed insulation, so we have agreed that I will fit it during the evening, the night before they plan to screed. This will then be inspected the following morning by Building Control before they start.

I need to get this right first time so as not to waste anyones time.

I assume, it is just a case of cutting to size and laying the insulation on the floor, job done :?:
if anyone knows of anything else that I need to bear in mind, I would be grateful for any tips.

Many thanks in advance,
Alex.

Sponsored Links
1) You'll need to put down a vapour control layer on top of the insulation to stop the gaps filling with screed and to minimize condensation.
2) You'll need to put a slither of insulation around the perimeter of the screed (thinner than the plaster and skirting combined) to minimize the cold bridge.

These aren't tips, you need to do them for BC.

Thanks very much for the information guys.

Can you recommend any products for doing this?
The floor area is around 25m2.

Alex.

Sponsored Links
Just started a self build myself, anyhow, Screwfix do an edge insulation strip that can be found here: edge insulation , they also have various foil tapes, if you do a search for foil on there site you will find some.

Good luck

Thanks,
Have gone with the screwfix bits.
I talked to my building inspector this morning regarding specs and said he would expect to see 1200 gauge DPM on top of the insulation. Glad I asked as was going to order 300 gauge.
He was not worried about edge insulation in my case. Perhaps its because I'm not having under floor heating and the external walls are full of insulation.

Good luck Ali68 with your build.
The DIY Not Forums have been so helpful to me so far!
The people here have all gone out of their way to help me with all of my questions. :)

Alex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back