quick question on copper pipe - it is all the same or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to be adding another radiator to our system as one room doesn't have one. I'm quite happy with needs to be done and am currently pricing up radiator, pipe and connections. I'm going to use copper and compression fittings as thats what I'm used to.

The question is I was planning on ordering the pipe from screwfix 10x2m 15mm but while at the local B&Q at lunch noticed that they had 10x3m (reduced by about 10% at the moment) for the same cost.

Its all supposed to be kite marked etc but are there different grades and is there anything I should be looking out for? I'm normally sceptical about B&Q quality but have to say it looked like any other copper pipe.

Sponsored Links
3m might not fit in your car :)

always a good idea to run the pipe cutter round each end to lose any damage at the end of whatever lengths you buy.

The pipe you will get from both of these places will be of the same grade and at 41 quid for a bundle of 3metre lengths from BQ this is just about as cheap as you will get just now

It is all manufactured to british Standard ****(can't remember the number) so don't worry and Screwfix are about £10 too dear on their pipe at the moment! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies folks. I'll nip back tomorrow and pick some up before they either change the price or sell out.

Thankfully the OH has a Saab 95 estate so I'm hoping to fit in there with the seats down but I'll measure first :)

i've definitely been supplied with nasty thin wall stuff from Plumb City in the past. i was doing a lot of work in my own house at the time & i'm afraid my customers got lumbered with that stuff.

i've definitely been supplied with nasty thin wall stuff from Plumb City in the past. i was doing a lot of work in my own house at the time & i'm afraid my customers got lumbered with that stuff.

How long ago was that STG? Back in the war when there was a shortage and they were using table z stuff that you couldnt bend!? :LOL:

I have always been of the opinion that some copper tubes are far easier to bend that others.

The one called Black Something is one of the better ones.

Generally the tube sold by merchants seems to be better than some others. The ones I would be particularly cautious of are the discount outlets.

Of course if you are not bending it then I dont think it matters what you buy.

Tony

I know yorkshire do 22mm in hard and normal half hard, of course anyone can anneal a pipe before bending it.

Copper also gets harder to bend the more you work it, putting multiple bends in close secession with make the next bend a little harder.

Not that its that noticeable tbh.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back