Quick question on tapered edge board to be used on a ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again you helpful folks,

As part of my kitchen renovation (don't ask, I wish I'd moved out LoL)....

My old ceiling cracked at the joints, even after artexing (by others).

Since taking a look, the boards are 9mm and haven't been taped at the joins... all square edge boards been used previously.

So it's my intention to pull the lot down since above is a high traffic area, bathroom and hall above ....

But... while I understand the need for taper boards, is there any work around? and yes I'll be fitting 12.5's as replacements, since my room is circa 9m sq and if I need to join with all tapered edges It'll be an extra 2 boards and a lot of waste.

So the "quick" question is:

Can I feather off the edge to create a taper or will the loss of paper by cutting back create yet another weak spot I'll have to deal with later???

Or.. and I hate saying this because of the reading I've done.....

Will square to square edge be okay under these circumstances?

Many thanks in advance...

Phil

Sponsored Links
Square edge is absolutely fine as long as the joints are taped! Are you getting it skimmed or tape and jointing?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, Ideally tape and jointed only but will get it skimmed if there's a need but I'm "led to believe" this may not be necessary?

Kind regards

Phil

Sponsored Links
Taped and filled is fine but ideally with tapered boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back