Quick question re installing a flood light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

My father-in-law keeps going on about me putting a flood light in his back garden. So to get him off my back I thought I would get on with it.

Just had a look on the screwfix website and read the instructions for a 500w light.

It all looks within my limits, other than the part where the instructions mention wiring it into the houses lighting circuit, this I couldn't do, but I was thinking could I run the flex into the house and fit a 3 pin plug instead?

Also if so should I be using 1mm flex.

Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
does he have a football pitch?

500w really is too much

and no you can't

Sponsored Links
It all looks within my limits, other than the part where the instructions mention wiring it into the houses lighting circuit, this I couldn't do,
Then it's not within your limits.

but I was thinking could I run the flex into the house and fit a 3 pin plug instead?

Also if so should I be using 1mm flex.
You should possibly not be using flex at all, depending on where the light will be and where the flex will run.

The way to get around the fact that you aren't competent to connect it up properly is not to put a plug on it, it's to get someone in who is competent.

Also, it's notifiable.

Thanks for your replies guys.

Ok, maybe I should be looking at a 150w one then and will get someone in to do it.

Just so I understand, why cant it be used with a plug?

Paul

Thanks but I already know this as I have already stated this. If you actually read my post, I didn't say it was all within my limits, I said everything other than the wiring to house circuit I could handle.

A simple yes or no would have done, instead like many people on this site you just take the **** out of people who don't know as much as you about electrics!

Ban- is it notifiable if fixed to the outside wall of the main dwelling?

Would a spur off a socket with a fused switch be more suitable?

Yes

You would find a non spurred socket and run 2.5mm2 to a FCU then from the FCU run 1.5mm2 to the light. The FCU will have a load option and a mains option , the load is what goes out to light and the mains is what comes in from the socket.

Thank you thomo

The cable to the light will be run mostly outside, on a wall about 7 foot up. Which 1.5mm2 cable should be used and will it need protecting from damage?

Thanks
Paul

Yes

You would find a non spurred socket and run 2.5mm2 to a FCU then from the FCU run 1.5mm2 to the light. The FCU will have a load option and a mains option , the load is what goes out to light and the mains is what comes in from the socket.

Not forgetting to downsize the fuse from 13A to 3A as well!

Just so I understand, why cant it be used with a plug?
It's not that you can't - it's not unsafe or anything, but a permanently installed light with a cable coming through the wall should not end in a plug - it's just not the right thing to do. What I said was copping out of doing it properly and fitting a plug was not the right way to deal with not being able to do it properly...

Thanks but I already know this as I have already stated this. If you actually read my post, I didn't say it was all within my limits, I said everything other than the wiring to house circuit I could handle.

A simple yes or no would have done, instead like many people on this site you just take the p**s out of people who don't know as much as you about electrics!
I wasn't taking the p**s. Saying "It's all within my limits except one part of it" is a bit like saying "I'm quite capable of driving through London, apart from the steering".

You need to be able to do all of it.

OOI - if wiring it into the lighting circuit is beyond you, how are you going to be able to wire an FCU to a socket circuit, and then wire the light to that?

Thank you thomo

The cable to the light will be run mostly outside, on a wall about 7 foot up. Which 1.5mm2 cable should be used and will it need protecting from damage?
Hi-Tuf, and it won't need protecting.

Hi Ban,

Sorry if I over reacted, I was already a bit wound up.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear, the light wouldn't be plugged in constantly and used as a security light, it would only be plugged when needed, ie going out into the garden at night to shed or parties/bbq's etc

I understand how to spur a FCU off a socket and how to tell if the socket is already a spur or not. I just dont know where I would tap into on a lighting circuit.

Thanks for info on protecting wire.

Again sorry for overacting

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back