quick question re: soldering copper vs push fit plastic plum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
evening all - sorry to make my first post a question but i'm in need of info fast & having read a few threads you lot seem pretty well clued up. (wish i'd found you sooner, before i started a few things, but thats another story which i'm sure i'll get round to!)

anyway, just a quick question for now i have a builder sorting out an extension for me & he's about to start the plumbing tomorrow (hence my urgency). the'll be plumbing in 2 toilets, a bath and a bathroom sink tomorrow, and will eventually be adding a kitchen sink, washing machine and combi-fed shower to the list of things to plumb

now i'm a traditionalist & when he said "plumbing" i imagined there would be loads of copper pipe & soldering going on - not so - it looks as though he intends using push-fit plastic plumbing throughout. now i have no experience of this stuff at all, but to me it all looks a bit too easy & a bit flimsy

is this stuff actually any good - how does push-fit plastic compare with copper & solder? is it just a case of personal preference on his part, or is he having a complete laugh at my expense??! my initial thought was "why should i pay him to do that, i could probably do it myself?" so is there something i'm missing

i intend insisting that any pipes which are on display are copper, but should i be concerned at what's hidden under the floorboards too? or is this stuff just as safe(or safer) than copper

any & all opinions, theories etc greatly received. cheers

Sponsored Links
Suggest you search the forum for "push fittings", it's been covered many times.

There are too many millions in use for them not to work. I'd say that most failures are down to human error ie - not using inserts or not tugging on the pipe to make the inner ring grip.

joe

Main poroblem is not pushing them right home.

No reason not to use them. Could also use tectight (neat brassy push fit's which grip copper better than plastic ones) and copper in visible areas.

It's now the standard in new builds to use plastic.

Gives me loads of work when taps come loose and spin round and round, seem to spend half my life in dark corners smelling what's missed the toilet bowl tighting up swivelling taps.

Sponsored Links
joe-90 said:
There are too many millions in use for them not to work. I'd say that most failures are down to human error ie - not using inserts or not tugging on the pipe to make the inner ring grip.

joe

Plastic is ok and preferable in many cases where you want to 'thread' pipes. You just have to be 100% certain the joints are made up correctly.

For central heating I occasionally use 10mm speedfit for radiator drops. I also used 10/15mm speedfit in my own house to replumb hot/cold to a bathroom. However, there are no joints under the floor whatsoever. All the ends come back to a central point in an access cupboard. I wince when I see many new builds where thousands of elbows and tees buried in plaster or under chipboard floors.

I tend to quote for using copper in new installs, which does increase the price as there is more labour involved. Since most people choose quotes on cost then you can't win them all.

Excellent advice from hteng. Keep all pushfit type joints accessible if at all possible. Where joints are going to be inaccessible I prefer to use soldered copper joints - no possibility of leaks developing.

chrishutt said:
Excellent advice from hteng. Keep all pushfit type joints accessible if at all possible. Where joints are going to be inaccessible I prefer to use soldered copper joints - no possibility of leaks developing.

it does sound like sage advice, i'll try to instill this into the builder in the morning - there shouldn't be too many joints under the floorboards from my reckoning in any case

thanks for the posts so far people, you've at least eased my mind a little, keep em coming tho ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back