Quick question...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I though about buying a plug in timer for an oil filler radiator I have in the porch. Most of them state on the packaging that they are not to be used with heaters or dehumidifiers. Also on the pack it said total load not to exceed 13A or 3250w. My rad is 2kw.

Am I missing something? Apparently I can't have a mechanical or digital timer?

Not a problem, just wondering why?

Sponsored Links
One reason - the timers are cheap tat and would probably melt if any modest load was connected to them. Probably sold in a pack, 3 for £10 or something. Solution - buy a better one.

Another reason - some types of heater will readily set fire to items draped on them. Heater is off due to a timer, curtains or whatever are left over the heater, which switches on when no one is around. Result - house burns down.
Not likely with an oil filled one.

These plug-in timers should not be used for immersion heaters.
Are you misunderstanding or are the instructions badly written in China.

As you point out 2kW is well under 13A so electrically fine.
Indeed electric radiators fitted with timers use similar mechanical ones.

Can you post the ones you are looking at?

Here's the wording on one I found -

Preparation And Use: Not Recommended for use on Immersion Heaters Application (resistive) Load: Radiators, Heaters, Radio's and Lamps etc

Not exactly clear - what can you use it for?

It is only £3 so perhaps it is so badly made they are covering themselves.

Thanks Gents,

TBH I was in my local B&Q, looked at ones that started at £1.98 up to £20, they all said the same, not to be used for heaters / dehumidifiers.

But electrically, as you say, well under the 13A and 3000-odd wattage.

As it's an oil filled rad, with a thermostat I might add, you think i'll be ok with a mid to high end of the price bracket item?

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electric...lectronic-7-Day-Timer-12448795?skuId=12969501

Or, an immersion type timer?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-digit...70339786#product_additional_details_container

Sponsored Links
There doesn't seem to be a rating for the B&Q one but you know what is required.

'Immersion timers' will need fixing to the wall and hard wiring.

Look at THESE

The first of which (in the list) I have today removed from being (wrongly) used to control a 3kW immersion heater for at least NINE YEARS and it's fine so...Although it may not have been made in China.

Edit - I have just looked at it and it was indeed made in the U.K.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back