Quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea. I've never even thought about it, but I guess if something is more efficient due to a change in pressure or what ever then yes I'd expect to see the meter register less gas.
Really?

If A is more efficient than B, and both were to use 1m³ of gas, you would expect the meter to register less than 1m³ for A? Or would it be more than 1m³ for B?

Have you thought about how the meter might know what was using the gas, especially if both were running at the same time?

Have you thought about why it would be in the interests of the supplier to charge you for less gas than an appliance actually uses, if it's an efficient one?

Have you thought about why it would be in your interests for the supplier to charge you for more gas than an appliance actually uses, if it's an inefficient one?

Just like some people know their lights use 'some' electricity, but have now idea how the amount of light they get is converted into £'s owed.
That doesn't matter.

What matters is why they should think that 50W of lighting would cost them less to run than 50W of lighting.

Sponsored Links
What matters is why they should think that 50W of lighting would cost them less to run than 50W of lighting.
Maybe because, not understanding anything about watts or kWh, they do not understand that using 50W of 12V lighting for a certain period of time uses 'the same amount of electricity' as using 50W of 230V lighting for the same period of time. Not everyone is as scientifically-savvy or numerate as yourself.

They know that 50g of small-grain (caster or icing) sugar costs a fair bit more than 50g of larger-grain (granulated) sugar, and don't find that illogical.

Kind Regards, John

To a lot of people the 60W part of a 60W lightbulb denotes how bright it is, not how much power it uses.

To a lot of people the 60W part of a 60W lightbulb denotes how bright it is, not how much power it uses.
I can well believe that. If one did a survey of the general public, I suspect that one one get all sorts of fascinating interpretations of the meaning (and implications) of the specification of something like a light bulb/lamp. I don't think that BAS appreciates quite how privileged we (he, you, I etc.) are to have the knowledge and understanding that we have.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
:) "True genius is alienating. Geniuses perceive the world in a different way than other people do, and as a result they have trouble interacting with other people."
That (and BAS) reminds me of a few maths teachers and lecturers I have come across - academically brilliant and often eccentric, but totally useless as teachers, since they genuinely could not understand why others did not understand what they did, rendering them essentially incapable of helping others understand.

At school, we had such a teacher called Mr ('Lefty') Wright. We actually wrote down some of the dialogues which arose, which often went along the lines:
"Please, Sir, how did you get from Equation 1 to Equation 2?"
"By going through a few intermediate steps in my head"
"What were those intermediate steps?"
"Just the obvious ones"
"Can you write them down for us?"
"Not really, they are just obvious things one does in one's head"
"How can we learn how to do it?"
"Just by doing the same obvious things that I did"
:)

Kind Regards, John

When I worked in a Technical College, we had a Senior Lecturer who was convinced the TV companies knew their viewing figures from the current going into the transmitter aerial. Not only did he 'know' that, but he could prove it mathematically. :eek:

When I worked in a Technical College, we had a Senior Lecturer who was convinced the TV companies knew their viewing figures from the current going into the transmitter aerial. Not only did he 'know' that, but he could prove it mathematically. :eek:
I'm sure I've heard that one before, somewhere :)

Kind Regards, John

My boiler has the same size gas pipe going to it's the gas fire does, but the boiler gives out more heat. Maybe my boiler runs at a higher pressure than my fire to be more efficient? I have no idea.

Think.

Gas pressure is the equivalent of voltage.
Gas pipe size is the equavelant of cable csa.

Voltage does not vary at each appliance, nor will gas pressure.

Maybe because, not understanding anything about watts or kWh, they do not understand that using 50W of 12V lighting for a certain period of time uses 'the same amount of electricity' as using 50W of 230V lighting for the same period of time.
That's ridiculous.

It matters not if they know what a watt is - their bill tells them that somehow it's what they are charged for.

So 50 of them must be 50 of them must be 50 of them.

Not everyone is as scientifically-savvy or numerate as yourself.
That's also ridiculous. You don't need to be anything which might be described as "scientifically-savvy or numerate" - you just have to have a reading age and an IQ in double figures.

People are charged for kWh. To many people this is a meaningless unit and bares no resemblance to the watts their light bulbs are rated at, other than the coincidince that some of the letters are the same.

The bill tells them how many thousand watt hours they have used.

The packaging says 50W and the other packaging says 50W.

Nobody capable of living without 24x7 care is so stupid that they cannot cope with that.

I'm not winding you up. I know what it means and you know what it means but loads of people have no idea what the 'kWh' on their bill actually means, and have no idea what a thousand watt hours are. It's just the unit that electric is measured in. It could be any old combination of letters as far as they're concerned.

I'm not winding you up. I know what it means and you know what it means but loads of people have no idea what the 'kWh' on their bill actually means, and have no idea what a thousand watt hours are. It's just the unit that electric is measured in. It could be any old combination of letters as far as they're concerned.
Exactly. BAS does not appear to have had much exposure to 'the general public', many of whom do not have the knowledge without which he thinks they need "24/7 care". For example, I know plenty of far-from-stupid people (who do not need 24/7 care) who have difficulty in interpreting prices expressed as £/100g or £/kg.

Kind Regards, John

In theory it is possible to calculate how many aerials are taking energy from the broadcast signal. In theory putting up a new receiving aerial would affect the field strength at that point and hence the ERP ( Effective Radiated Power ) at the transmitter would increase.

In practise it is totally and utterly impossible. A change of a few micro watts at the receiver compared to 10's if not 100's of kWatts at the transmitter would require measuring equipment with accuracies impossible to achieve. And reflections from cars moving around would have more affect on the ERP than a little TV aerial.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back