Quick questions about fuse ratings / Wylex plug in MCB's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I Have just bought a house and the fusebox is very similar to the one pictured Below:

Wylex-Re-wireable.jpg

I was thinking about replacing the wired fuses for those Wylex plug in type and i have a couple of questions....

Firstly, I currently have 4 fuses as follows:

5A - All Lights
30A - Cooker/Hob
30A - Downstairs Sockets
15A - Upstairs Sockets.

Why would i have 30A Downstairs & 15A Upstairs for the sockets, Is this OK/Normal?

Secondly, Do these Wylex MCB's just plug straight in or would i need to fit a different base to enable me to use them.
The picture below has a base with it, but i didn't know if it was just for show.

p1989835_x.jpg

Sorry to bang on but Thirdly..

I can only seem to find similar rated Wylex fuses like 6A,16A and 32A instead of my original 5A, 15A and 30A is this OK or should I find the exact ratings i currently have??

Thanks very much. Any help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
1: upstairs ,ight be a radial and not a ring

2: you may have to remove the base of the fuse holder and change it to the MCB type. base should come with MCB

3: you can use 6A instead of 5A etc.

IMO, the cost of changing the breakers nears that of a new CU.

Although you gain the advantage of MCB's, you still have no RCD protection with these plug-in jobbies.

Yes, they come with a new base that requires screwing in (a single screw).

Fuses are generaly rates 5, 15, 30 and breakers 6, 16, 32.

Your upstairs sockets sound as if they are on a radial circuit - a 20amp MCB would be best for this, although nest to check.......it could be a ring circuit with the incorrect fuse.

Thanks alot for the quick replies, It might be best to get someone to replace the whole CU instead, and they can check that the fuse is correct for the upstairs circuit.

Just out of curiosity, how do you check if it's a radial or ring. Would you look inside every socket to see if the cable just ends at one of them?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
AlanPartridge said:
Thanks alot for the quick replies, It might be best to get someone to replace the whole CU instead, and they can check that the fuse is correct for the upstairs circuit.

Just out of curiosity, how do you check if it's a radial or ring. Would you look inside every socket to see if the cable just ends at one of them?

Thanks again.

look in CU. if 1 cable leave its a radial. if 2, check continuity between them. none - radial, continuity, ring

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back