Wylex fuse board

Seems a bit odd!
20161220_131857.jpg
20161220_131904.jpg

Sponsored Links
The only thing I can think of is that when the moulds for the covers were designed, they put the logo on the wrong side?

In this case, any of those boxes so constructed will be comparatively rare as they will surely have realised the mistake and rectified it ASAP.

The only thing I can think of is that when the moulds for the covers were designed, they put the logo on the wrong side?
Are you certain that it was not deliberate? A small one like that might be installed in a fairly conspicuous location, a bit like an 'accessory' - and standard accessories virtually never have any visible maker logos on the outside (although they often/usually do inside).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Does seem odd, this is the front of a metalclad board so wouldn't need to be decorative. I thought I had it here, but remember now taking the photo as it is still installed in a boiler room. I had examined it more closely as I was washing all the old stickers and writing off it so I could put on some tidier labels. No other image of a Wylex board I could search for was missing the logo from the front.

Eidt: I'd also love to own one of the Wylex standard boards with the really big logo on the front!

Last edited:
But when you look at the history of Wylex, they all have a Wylex mark on the outside!

Possibly intended to be rebranded as somebody else's product?
Would the 'someone else' (and, quite possibly, Wylex themselves) then want the product to be devoid of any Wylex logos, even inside?

One wouldn't find a mention of, say, "Kleenex" inside a box of supermarket own-brand tissues.

Kind Regards, John

Would the 'someone else' (and, quite possibly, Wylex themselves) then want the product to be devoid of any Wylex logos, even inside?
That depends on their contract with the reseller.
It's not uncommon to find the real manufacturer's logo hidden under a reseller's label. I don't see a logo inside being very different.
If there is a manufacturer's address on an own-label product it sometimes gives a clue as to the better-known brand.

That depends on their contract with the reseller. It's not uncommon to find the real manufacturer's logo hidden under a reseller's label. I don't see a logo inside being very different. If there is a manufacturer's address on an own-label product it sometimes gives a clue as to the better-known brand.
I essentially agree with all that - other than that I thought that reputable mainstream manufacturers usually/often did not want to reveal that other people's 'own brand' products were actually theirs - not the least because that could well result in a reduction in their own sales?

Kind Regards, John

I thought that reputable mainstream manufacturers usually/often did not want to reveal that other people's 'own brand' products were actually theirs
Depends why they're doing it John. If, for example, the manufacturer is trying to penetrate a new market, he might well find a reseller who is successful in that market and arrange to supply him with products that can fairly easily be identified, with the intention of eventually selling under his own brand name when he has established a reputation. Also in some countries it is very difficult (in some countries illegal!) to sell a product that does not bear the brand name of a local manufacturer, but sometimes the OEM wants his name to be known.

Depends why they're doing it John. If, for example ....
Fair enough. Maybe I don't look carefully enough, but it's something I have hardly ever seen done, at least in products sold in the UK. What I'm used to seeing is "Manufactured in UK (or wherever) for Tesco/Wickes/Homebase/whoever", without any mention (or any other evidence) of who did the manufacturing.

Kind Regards, John

Funny you should mention those names - the Wickes and Homebase accessories used to carry the GET brand inside.
Interesting. To the best of my knowledge, they don't these days, but I'm not sure I've got any here to look at :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back