Wylex fuse board

It's been a week now and not blown so I'm pretty sure it will be fine for another week and if not they've got the spare.
Thanks for your help guys and confirming my thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Yes John I agree and told them the same. I think it probably should be a 30A but leave it at 15A till it's been checked then it's no big deal to get a 30A off eBay to fit in the red base.
I have dozens of the things, gathering dust. If the need arises, I could provide you with one for nothing (well, perhaps the postage!), if you so wished!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Ah makes sense, good plan! I suppose my thinking was that the base would have probably been changed too if it was purposely changed to a 15A, but my incorrect guess at the one on top changes things a little.
You're still very probably right - but it's simply not safe to 'assume' that.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks again John. I think they're going to go for a rewire they keep asking me if I think they should. I just say it would probably be better but as it's all working fine I would leave it. But I think they'll probably go for it so it'll be a new CU but only if the spark will pull the cables through the conduit as they've just decorated. Lol

The cables look rather new, as in new enough to be the harmonised colours, I'm probably wrong though!

Thanks again John. I think they're going to go for a rewire they keep asking me if I think they should. I just say it would probably be better but as it's all working fine I would leave it. But I think they'll probably go for it so it'll be a new CU but only if the spark will pull the cables through the conduit as they've just decorated. Lol
Fair enough. Those old Wylex CUs were fantastic bits of engineering - far superior to anything you'd see today, but (although they would probably go on working 'for ever') they have unfortunately outlived their usefulness (been overtaken by advances and modern-day 'requirements'), so the time is probably close when it ought to be replaced.

Kind Regards, John

Mother in law said this morning the last electrical work done was about 25 years ago.

The cables have that awful wrinkled look that poorly manufactured modern cables have, the cable clips certainly aren't old!

I don't think those cable clips on the left hand cables were made 25 years ago. I'm probably wrong again though!

The wife says the last thing she remembers was the shower and that was at least 20yrs ago.

Mother in law said this morning the last electrical work done was about 25 years ago.
Fair enough, but I have to agree with Echo (I guess we're both wrong!) that neither the cables nor the clips look 25 years old!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back