Wylex fuse board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. Hopefully just a quick one for you. I'm the family diyer and got a call to the mother in law the other day. All sockets not working. Checked the fuse and it was blown. The fuse was marked and wired as 15A so I rewired it as 15A. But I've just read something that says ring mains should have a 30A fuse. Did I do right in copying the existing or does it require a 30A.

Thanks in advance guys

Sponsored Links
It could be a radial circuit where 15A is correct. Why did it blow, did she have lots of high wattage appliances running?

Rings normally are 30A.

You did do right in replacing with the same.

It will need someone with knowledge to determine if it is correct or not.

Thanks for the reply. There is only one socket circuit so I just assumed it was ring but yeah you could be right. She had washer dryer and a heater on.

Sponsored Links
This is a 6 bed house. Started as 3 bed but over the years has been extended to the side and had a loft conversion. Has probably had much more on at once before as most kids are girls and we know how their bedrooms are full of hairdryer straighteners etc. Wouldn't you think it would be a ring ?

If it was done today there would probably be more than 1 ring and even some additional radials for a property of that size.

As advised, it would be best to get an electrician to confirm if it's a ring final or radial. You best leave as 15a fuse until you know.

Regards,

DS

I advised them to get a spare 15A fuse just in case. Which they've done. Will leave as is unless it starts blowing regularly then they can get a spark in. Thanks guys.

This is a 6 bed house. Started as 3 bed but over the years has been extended to the side and had a loft conversion. Has probably had much more on at once before as most kids are girls and we know how their bedrooms are full of hairdryer straighteners etc. Wouldn't you think it would be a ring ?
Just one 15A sockets circuit for a 6-bed house seems very odd (and almost certainly not adequate - more than one fairly high-powered appliance at once would probably be 'too much'!). Is there perhaps also an additional sockets circuit for kitchen? Was no work done on the electrical installation over the years during which all this extension of the property was happening?

Kind Regards, John

To my memory there is cooker lights sockets and shower circuits that's all. As it's an old wylex fuse box and the wife agrees. There has been no work other than the addition of the relevant lights and sockets.

Please understand I'm NOT GOING TO DO THIS but if a sparks says it's a ring can the 15A fuse just be rewired with 30A wire ??

If the electrician confirms there is serviceable ring he would have to change the fuse and its carrier to 30a.

Regards,

DS

Blue holder? Not a good idea, the electrician will advise and if possible replace with a red one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back