Replacing fuses with circuit breakers - numpty question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to replace my old 5A, 15A, 30A, fuses in the CU with those plug in circuit breakers. It's a wylex box with the vertical plugs. There seem to be quite a variety out there and I can't pinpoint exactly what I need, can anyone point me to good units and a cheapish online supplier.

Is there anything I need to be aware of in doing this (e.g. some units are 6A etc - are they OK) ?

Thanks

John

Sponsored Links
No compelling reason - they dont blow very often but I have had 2 outs in a year (both related to dodgy dimmer switches now replaced by conventional ones!).

It took me about 10 minutes to get the bloody 5A fuse wire through the hole and wrapped around the screws and fixed etc. Due to poor eyesight and advancing arthritis (comes to us all). So would prefer not have to do that again - particularly like last night if a taxi is waiting to whisk me out and the missus is refusing to let me go until she has light !

John

Thought about having the CU replaced instead, thus getting RCD protection etc?

Sponsored Links
Yeah - I added an additional CU a few years ago (to supply a new cooker and outside lights) - I wish i'd done the main one then. Although it isnt in bad shape and is reasonably new (house rewired about 20 years ago) which is partly why I didnt tackle it back when.

TBH I dont want to do it myself now so would need an eleccy to do the job so will need to gather the ££ for that.

This is kind of an interim solution that would solve any fuse rewiring issue.

Although I agree the best route is a new CU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back