Quick Rad Question.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have the Decorators in & they have noticed that my Rad in the Main Bedroom is leaking...

Looks like the leak is coming before the Valve, running down the Pipe & into a hole in the Skirting Board, which is why I haven't noticed it!!!!!!

Tried closing both Valves, which made it worse....Have got an Emergency Plumber coming out Mon, just in case the System needs draining & the Olive/Valve replacing.....

If it gets any worse, then they will come out straightaway.....

Just asking, from experience, would it be worth trying to "tighten" the Nut a bit more to see if it seals the leak from the Nut/Olive, or Could I potentially make it worse?.....

I've just had the Boiler changed & the Boiler Guy gave my system a Flush & put inhibiter in...So If the System does need draining again will I need to buy some more inhibitor & put it in....? Will that effect any Warranty on the Boiler.....

Sponsored Links
Ideally the valve should be changed if its a good few years old, but I assume your plumber will do this.

Tightening the valve should stop the leak, but might not. It is unlikely to make it worse.
Make sure you know which way to turn to tighten the compression nut, otherwise you'll loosen it and create a bigger problem.

The pipe is copper isn't it?
If it's plastic, don't go tightening it, as it's possible there was no insert fitted, and you'll create a bigger leak.

Cheers Joe....

I've read on a few forums that to try & tighten the Compression Nut, you really need something to hold the Valve side whilst you tighten the Nut, just in case the Pipe on which the Olive sits twists....? So need to get myself a Pair of Mold Grips or Gland Pliers to hold the Valve whilst I tighten the Nut.....

Sponsored Links
Yes, otherwise you risk breaking the seal between the olive and nut on the rad insert.
Most grips will be able to hold it solid, you could even get away with two spanners.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back