Quick request for another set of eyes on this, please...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there...

It looks simple, but I just want to rule anything else out on this one, please....

The return of the wall alongside an external set of french doors has, of fairly recently, given rise to this : (if it helps, this door is in a knockthrough made a agoround four years into a dual-skin externally rendered wall)

IMG_20230110_145302.jpg

Another image from a little further away :

IMG_20230110_145321.jpg

It is the coldest wall in a well ventilated kitchen diner of around 70sqm. None of the walls seems to pick up condensation even at high times of use.

The door job seems (to me sound all round).

I am hoping this is a cold area forming along and around the plastering bead that has developed a bit of condensation in line with the fact that we haven't been heating the room as much.

Although I am willing to listen to better minds on the plastering front.

Help appreciated all, please.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
It looks like penetrating damp.
If you have a metal corner bead then its swelling, & rusting.
Could you post a couple of pics showing the outside wall, frame reveal & door head?
How far to the left does the water damage show?
Do you have a wood suspended floor?
Is the wall solid or cavity?

Hi there...

It looks simple, but I just want to rule anything else out (if it helps, this door is in a knockthrough made a around four years into a dual-skin externally rendered wall

Help appreciated all, please.

Thank you
So it's a cavity wall

It looks like penetrating damp.
If you have a metal corner bead then its swelling, & rusting.
Could you post a couple of pics showing the outside wall, frame reveal & door head?
How far to the left does the water damage show?
Do you have a wood suspended floor?
Is the wall solid or cavity?
Hi,

Thanks. It's a cavity wall and a concrete slab floor.

I have enclosed a photo of how far it falls around the other side.

Bits of info that may help :

The guttering above, I had to tighten last year as the water was pouring down the inside down the wall;
The gutter serves a flat roof which in turns serves one elevation of the pitched roof.
The water damage on the reveal falls at exactly the point where the door frame is screwed into the wall.

Thanks for replying.

IMG_20230111_090207.jpg
IMG_20230111_092353.jpg
IMG_20230111_092405.jpg
IMG_20230111_092955.jpg

Sponsored Links
Problems immediately Red Flag in the new pics:
1. moisture is definitely creeping around the lower half of the external RH reveal, going past the frame and presenting inside, mostly, it seems, at the outside corner.
2. The steps need removing and new steps need to be built to Regs. with a barrier (a Code #5 lead sheet say) between the steps & the house.
3. The new tread must allow a gap below the Pvc sill - at the moment moisture could be entering under the sill?
4. The lower plain render is in ground contact and needs a 50mm contact break.
5. The upper render should have been finished with BellCast's. Like the one above the door.
6. The Pvc frame should have been set back a min of 75mm from the face of the elevation brickwork.
7. The RWP should discharge just over or just inside the gulley grill - is that actually a trapped gulley?

Perhaps you should examine along the lower outside walls in that room - look for damp signs?

In the interior, you will need to hack off to bare masonry to about 300mm past the last damp indications - maybe you can hacksaw off the corner bead?

Problems immediately Red Flag in the new pics:
1. moisture is definitely creeping around the lower half of the external RH reveal, going past the frame and presenting inside, mostly, it seems, at the outside corner.
2. The steps need removing and new steps need to be built to Regs. with a barrier (a Code #5 lead sheet say) between the steps & the house.
3. The new tread must allow a gap below the Pvc sill - at the moment moisture could be entering under the sill?
4. The lower plain render is in ground contact and needs a 50mm contact break.
5. The upper render should have been finished with BellCast's. Like the one above the door.
6. The Pvc frame should have been set back a min of 75mm from the face of the elevation brickwork.
7. The RWP should discharge just over or just inside the gulley grill - is that actually a trapped gulley?

Perhaps you should examine along the lower outside walls in that room - look for damp signs?

In the interior, you will need to hack off to bare masonry to about 300mm past the last damp indications - maybe you can hacksaw off the corner bead?
That is absolutely brilliant :

>2. The steps need removing and new steps need to be built to Regs. with a barrier (a Code #5 lead sheet say) between the steps & the house.

Yes. I have never been comfortable with how that sat. It has been more by luck that it has got this far.

>

Ah yes. The downpipe "dropped" just before I took the photo. The stone is holding it up until the wind drops and I can get up there.

No real signs of damp anywhere else ( as I can see it).

That's great advice. I really appreciate your time.

Thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back