Re-plastering advice- please help!

No problem doing that as you have cured the "problem " so float and set it inside and but use a weeker mix 6-1-1 for scratch and float. You may get some effloresence salts appearing as it dries out but just brush it off every now and again till wall dries out. Paint the walls dont hang any paper on it till it all dries out properly...I think the drying out times for a wet wall is 1mm a day (1 month for 1 inch) so it will take 4 months for the internal brickwork to dry out...and the weaker mix (float and set) will help to let it dry out....Also dont put furniture or wardrobes close to the wall as this will cause mildew because it needs an air flow to stop condensation. Maybe an idea to put a dehumidifier in the room for a while to pull the water out of the walls/....

Isn't the 6.1.1 mix redundant now we have hydraulic limes..? Cement was added to non-hydraulic lime to give it hydraulic properties allowing for a quicker set....

Always worked for me. I seem to remember in one post that you have also recommended using a 6-1-1 mix :rolleyes:

I have yes, off the self lime from suppliers is bagged lime and needs cement in it :rolleyes:

I have also said that 6.1.1 mixes have proved to fail over time

;)

I think everything fails after time. Nothing lasts forever except maybe friendships.. :)

More appropriate to use on houses around 1930ish on when it was becoming common to use cement in lime mixes.

Although old builds seem to take longer than their modern counterparts, to fail that is. ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back