Quickest way to fix wall ready for tiling

RKB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been going over the job I need to do (fit new bath suite and retile), and a thought has struck me.
I fully expect when I bolster the old tiles off, some of the plaster will come of with the tiles. If that happenned, I planned to make good with something like hardwall backing plaster to restore the levels, then plaster on that. The problem I've got is that I only have a couple of days to do this, so I could only give the plaster about 24 hours before having to retile. I thought about going tile on tile, but the new tiling needs to go all the way up to the ceiling, where the old tiles stop halfway.
Any suggestions on what material I could use instead of backing plaster -
maybe I'm worrying too much, but ma in law invalided, so needs access to bath sooner rather than later.

Sponsored Links
I was recently in an elderly persons flat whose bathroom had recently been refurbed. There was about 30 or so flats in the block so noise/dust/rubbish/time etc, was a real issue.

The tilers(?) left the original tiles which went about half way (they were sound) in place. They then bonded and occasionally screwed thin ply on the top part to level the walls. The walls were previously painted and I presume they used tile adhesive or gripfill etc, to fix. To level the ply they used a length of 4x2.

This was very quick and clean and they used tile on tile the very next day.

I must say I haven't done this myself so welcome other comments as to whether it was a cock up or sound method. However, the finished job looks good and I presume they must be happy to offer some kind of warranty, as they did all the flats the same way.

You could buy economy tiles of same thickness as originals and fill the gap with them, effectively tiling that area twice. I've seen kitchen fitters use this method, assuming the untiled portion of wall is sound.

depending how big the area is and how much of a budget you have you can plug and screw wbp plywood to the wall to cover it entirely and then tile over it.

thermo

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back