Quickest way to paint over blown plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK I realise many people here are either tradesmen, perfectionists, or both. So please excuse the question.

At home everything has to be perfect. I have in the past had entire rooms re-skimmed to get everything just right, and when I've not done this I've spent weeks on preperation instead. So I fully understand how it's not a good idea just to slap paint on the walls unprepared.

However, I have an office away from home. When I first got it, it had been freshly decorated and looked great. Seven years on and it's now pretty scruffy looking. My issue is that it's barely used from one day to the next, but occassionally I will have client meetings there.

I've decided to paint it (both the walls and the woodwork are currently magnolia, so I'll be paiting them the same and it won't be too much trouble). Most of the rooms have already been covered in lining paper and are pretty much ok.

However, the hallway and stairs have quite a few cracks, some hairline, some a lot bigger. When you tap them, the area sounds hollow and I'm sure the plaster has blown.

I doubt the landlord will pay for the whole lot to be re-skimmed, and given how little use it gets I don't want to pay for it myself. I just want to paint over the scuff marks and brighten it up a bit, and maybe add some pictures and canvases to draw eyes away from the bad bits :)

Given the information above, what's the best way to proceed? I've considered repairing the cracks as best as possible, painting over and hoping for the best. Or I could use lining paper first. Any suggestions that don't involve weeks worth of cost or work would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Is it blown plaster or plaster board, they both sound hollow.

If the plaster is not coming away from the wall then I would just paint over it.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back