Quiet inline extractor fans?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of building a bathroom. I want to install an inline extractor so have a vent-tile in the roof (the sort with a 4" duct coming off, intended for mechanical extractor outlet) and a 4" exhaust valve in the ceiling over the shower. I intend to install a separate timer/humidstat unit in the opposite corner to the shower.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a quiet inline fan? I've looked at the data sheets but from experience with PC fans I know that sometimes this doesn't tell the whole story (eg some manufacturers test with optimal conditions, some with real world conditions).
This would be a 4" fan for a small bathroom around 10m^3 .

NB I have a building notice covering the electrical work inc. special areas so will have it tested and submit report to local BCO, they mandated this approach to satisfy Part P.

Sponsored Links
If you're building a bathroom why limit yourself to a 4" fan? Get a bigger one.

And how quiet does it need to be given the noise of a shower?

I put one of this series of fans in when doing my wetroom and also one in an understairs toilet.

www.solerpalau.co.uk/product.html?cat=428

I would also agree with BAS suggestion of a bigger fan than 4" for a couple of reasons. With a bigger fan you can run it at a slower speed whilst still getting good air flow but with lower noise levels. Also bigger fans tend to make lower frequency noise which can be less irritating than a whinning small one.

Unfortunatley they dont put inbuilt run on timers in the two speed versions, so if you want that feature you'd need an external timer.

Also consider using accoustic ducting to help soak up more noise.

Sponsored Links
If you're building a bathroom why limit yourself to a 4" fan? Get a bigger one.

And how quiet does it need to be given the noise of a shower?

Are you thinking 4" inlet/outlet ducted into a larger size fan? I hadn't thought about that but certainly a possibility if it offers an advantage within reasonable cost.

Exhaust valve / roof outlet are my only real limiting factors, I can certainly have a bigger fan spinning at a slower rate.

I put one of this series of fans in when doing my wetroom and also one in an understairs toilet.

www.solerpalau.co.uk/product.html?cat=428

I would also agree with BAS suggestion of a bigger fan than 4" for a couple of reasons. With a bigger fan you can run it at a slower speed whilst still getting good air flow but with lower noise levels. Also bigger fans tend to make lower frequency noise which can be less irritating than a whinning small one.

I'll look at the bigger fans - I'm going for a separate controller anyway, so that should increase my options. I honestly hadn't thought of a bigger slower fan, makes perfect sense though.

They're all quiet if you don't switch them on.

Do you actually need a fan?
Unfortunately so... our current bathroom has a permanently-open vent in the wall and still gets mould due to the lack of air circulation. Leaving a window open all day would help but isn't an option as we both work. So, humidistat-controlled ventilation appears to be the least-bad solution :)

My OH has already voiced her displeasure at the hum of a fan if she needs a wee in the night, so your concerns are well-founded! ;)

Surely there's no need for the fan to be switched on for a visit like that?

For late night pee needs I put a double lightswitch in to control the lights and fan in my upstairs wetroom. This isn't just to control the lights and fan independantly - one switch puts the lights on full brightness and triggers the fan, the other switches on the lighting via a dimmer and leaves the fan off. No need for full lights to have a pee and the lower light level helps stop you being woken up too much before going back to bed.

Got the idea of dimmer lights for night time visits from a hotel room with fancy programed lighting system that had a 'tinkle' setting. This turned on lighting leading to and in the bathroom at a low level. I liked the idea but didn't want to spend lots of money on a full programable lighting system.

All fans make noise, theres no truly silent option.

For late night pee needs I put a double lightswitch in to control the lights and fan in my upstairs wetroom. This isn't just to control the lights and fan independantly - one switch puts the lights on full brightness and triggers the fan, the other switches on the lighting via a dimmer and leaves the fan off. No need for full lights to have a pee and the lower light level helps stop you being woken up too much before going back to bed.

Got the idea of dimmer lights for night time visits from a hotel room with fancy programed lighting system that had a 'tinkle' setting. This turned on lighting leading to and in the bathroom at a low level. I liked the idea but didn't want to spend lots of money on a full programable lighting system.

All fans make noise, theres no truly silent option.

Was that at Brimstone at Langdale?

We were there last month for two nights, the spa is very swish, a bit wasted on me as I don't like saunas etc but I made the most of the free booze and food, we went in wifes Hyundai I10, looked a bit out of place in the garage between the Porsches

We were there last month for two nights, the spa is very swish, a bit wasted on me as I don't like saunas etc but I made the most of the free booze and food, we went in wifes Hyundai I10, looked a bit out of place in the garage between the Porsches

Haha yeah, when I parked the worse for wear mondeo I had at the time in the garage it looked rather out of place to! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back