Quieten noisy main in bedroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a 15mm main rising from the bedroom floor on the first floor straight up to the cold tank in the loft. Its frickin noisy whenever the tank is filling, especially with the shower in the morning. Its currently exposed, covered in grey pipe lagging, in a cupboard. 2 year old reckons its rubbish.

I don't really want to reduce the pressure as its only a small tank and if you run a bath - big taps and bath - the tank will generally empty as it refills the immersion heater below, which will only happen sooner if the pressure (flow?) is reduced at the stop cock.. air in pipes ... blah blah blah!

Is there anything I can do other than box that pipe in? Replace it with a length of plastic pipe or a wider bore? Would that help?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Replace the float valve in the cistern in the loft with a Fluidmaster.
Put some flexible pipe in the supply to the cistern, to stop the noise transmitting back down it. You could use a good quality flexible tap connector (they fit the valves) or (I would prefer) a loop of plastic pipe going into the valve. Makes a vast difference.

Sounds like a great "mod" :) ... I'll leave this for a while and probably come back when I know a few more details,

Cheers!

:D

Also/or try fitting a pressure reducing valve to the cold main

Sponsored Links
But for the same pipe that would reduce the flow right? Don't want to do that... ?

No, a pressure reducing valve reduces the pressure!
Flow rate is virtually unaffected

'Wow' why didn't we get one of these before (customer comment)!

Woo Hoo!!! Done it :) And in LESS THAN 2 YEARS!!! The thing is incredible. I can't hear it filling a half empty tank above the noise of the computer fan. Just waiting to see the fill level is up ... yep all good and soooo easy to adjust.

Cheers chaps!

Replace the float valve in the cistern in the loft with a Fluidmaster.
Put some flexible pipe in the supply to the cistern, to stop the noise transmitting back down it. You could use a good quality flexible tap connector (they fit the valves) or (I would prefer) a loop of plastic pipe going into the valve. Makes a vast difference.

I tried it without the tap connector and was fine. Have a service valve to add so when I get round to that - 2010? - I might add the tap connector, since the existing elbow is a bit ropey.

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back