Quinethic wireless receiver

God

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just got one of these and the matching light switch. They made it sound so simple to install.
So I have gone into the existing down light junction box for the power and to my surprise the light works but only when I have the down lighters on. As soon as I turn the switch for the down lighters of the quinetic light does not work.

I am trying to add 2 x pendant lights to the kitchen. We already have the existing down lighters which I am trying to get the power from.
Please help its doing me nugget in.

Sponsored Links
The receiver unit requires power permanently.

You have probably connected it to a part of the circuit which is controlled via the existing switch.

Thanks
That buggers things up a bit as I only have that existing cable up there to cut into. It appears it now defeats the object for a wireless light.

Sponsored Links
I gotta chase the wall out to run a permanent live to the receiver

If originally the room had a ceiling rose, then at that point there should be line and neutral to supply which is not switched, however if the down lighters were fitted as original equipment then the permanent line may only be taken to the switch.

It's a fairly new house and the downlighters were put in when built.

There are 2 likely methods used for the wiring.
1 - there is a junction box or similar in the ceiling near to one of the downlights, this will contain the permanent line which is required for the new switching device. This should be accessible by removing the downlight and pulling the junction box through the hole.
2 - Permanent line only exists at the switch, in which case you will need to add an extra cable from there to wherever the new lights are required.

If you post a picture of the wiring behind the existing light switch, it will be evident what type of wiring you have got.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back