ADDING ADDITIONAL LIFGTING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 separate lights in my kitchen and i am replacing the ceiling and installing 10 down lighters (mains voltage) can i connect them to the existing rose / junction box, as they all need separate connections can I run them all to one junction box ?

Sponsored Links
Why do they need separate connections?

I would replace the rose with a junction box, making sure it is accessible in the future, and run a twin and earth feed from it to one light, then to the next etc... using small 4T jb's which are 59mm dia or terminal blocks enclosed in whats known as a choc box. Bear in mind that selv (12V) connections need to be enclosed, too.

PERKS
Change the rose to a junction box, daisy chain (parrallel) to 10 SMALL 10A junction boxes and then connect the lights to each SMALL jb.

You can get 10A junction boxes which are small enough to come out of the spotlight hole.

Each light allready has a terminal (junc' box) so I can just connect them all together then and a final connection to the rose (junc' box).
I assume I just seal off the earth in the rose as the lights have no earth connection.
Thanks all for your help.

Sponsored Links
Yes - so every light fitting will have two 1.5mm twin & earth cables attached, with the exception of the last one which will only have one.
I'd snip off the earth (if not required) at each light fitting and tape up the end or use 2 core flex.

Keep the earthing conductors and connect them up, lets keep the continuity people.......I know the lights are class 2, but one never knows the future......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back