Quiz (restricted access)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
So he can't quote a single one that the UK would have achieved alone?

That's very poor.

Simon Sweeny may be a celebrated academic in his own mind but let's just look at one of his assertions, the one where he claims that the EU promote improved animal welfare in food production..
I really don't see the EU banning Halal slaughter techniques, do you guys?
The banning of veal crates was a result of the UK banning veal crates in 1990
The UK has banned the use of Sow stalls... They are still in use in mainland Europe
So don't give us the hogwash that the EU has pioneered animal welfare. These simple facts thus draw Mr Sweeny's other assertions in his letter into grave doubt. The EU has given us very little and our little no body John D Corbyn needs to wind his neck in if he wants to post contentious nonsense so he can have people who object blocked or banned.

I'm sure that a little google work will reveal how much York University receives from the EU in funding

Sponsored Links
Letter in the Guardian news paper, some of the right wing fascists on this forum should try and get some alternative information other than The Daily Mail, The Express or The Sun plus other various rags, which they seem to believe in.

"What did the EU ever do for us?
Not much, apart from: providing 57% of our trade;
structural funding to areas hit by industrial decline;
clean beaches and rivers;
cleaner air;
lead free petrol;
restrictions on landfill dumping;
a recycling culture;
cheaper mobile charges;
cheaper air travel;
improved consumer protection and food labelling;
a ban on growth hormones and other harmful food additives;
better product safety;
single market competition bringing quality improvements and better industrial performance;
break up of monopolies;
Europe-wide patent and copyright protection;
no paperwork or customs for exports throughout the single market;
price transparency and removal of commission on currency exchanges across the eurozone;
freedom to travel, live and work across Europe;
funded opportunities for young people to undertake study or work placements abroad;
access to European health services;
labour protection and enhanced social welfare;
smoke-free workplaces;
equal pay legislation;
holiday entitlement;
the right not to work more than a 48-hour week without overtime;
strongest wildlife protection in the world;
improved animal welfare in food production;
EU-funded research and industrial collaboration;
EU representation in international forums;
bloc EEA negotiation at the WTO;
EU diplomatic efforts to uphold the nuclear non-proliferation treaty;
European arrest warrant;
cross border policing to combat human trafficking, arms and drug smuggling; counter terrorism intelligence;
European civil and military co-operation in post-conflict zones in Europe and Africa;
support for democracy and human rights across Europe and beyond;
investment across Europe contributing to better living standards and educational, social and cultural capital.
All of this is nothing compared with its greatest achievements: the EU has for 60 years been the foundation of peace between European neighbours after centuries of bloodshed.
It furthermore assisted the extraordinary political, social and economic transformation of 13 former dictatorships, now EU members, since 1980.
Now the union faces major challenges brought on by neoliberal economic globalisation, and worsened by its own systemic weaknesses. It is taking measures to overcome these. We in the UK should reflect on whether our net contribution of £7bn out of total government expenditure of £695bn is good value. We must play a full part in enabling the union to be a force for good in a multi-polar global future.

Simon Sweeney,

Lecturer in international political economy, University of York"
A lot of what you have posted just isn't true is it.I like the bit about "enhanced social welfare"tell that to all the disabled people who have had their benefits slashed and they would laugh at you, What about the "single market competition bringing quality improvements and better industrial performance" claim, LOL, is it true that the EU's share of global GDP has dropped from 30% 20 years ago to 15% today, as for the claim that the EU has kept the peace in Europe, I thought that was the job of NATO.
So he can't quote a single one that the UK would have achieved alone?

That's very poor.

I quoted 3 obvious ones and pointed out that most of the rest would have been achieved solely by GB. I guess you want someone to list them individually?

Honestly the way you go on it's miracle any of us managed to go for a terd before the EU.

John D hasn't managed since the 1970's that's why he's so full of it.

But watch out, he's about to explode...Yeuk!

To be fair he came out with a very, very valid point, I think, about london being the financial centre that it is at present. I do think the EU could cause major issues there. That gave me cause to think, seriously. That list though is mainly ******, with respect.

it's miracle any of us managed to go for a terd before the EU.
Is that the European spelling for turd? :D

I thought JohnD would offend the spellcheck :)

There... I have corrected that for you
I mean this in a kind way, but please don't change what I've written just have a dig at someone. Know you don't like each other, but that's nowt to do with me. And of course, lose all chance of having a decent debate when that sort of stuff happens as it just ends up a slanging match :)

I do honestly think, JohnD, that the UK would've been fine with most of those things on the list. We've been an industrious country for many a year and there's no reason why that couldn't have continued. I dare say a lot of things have been rewarding being part of the EU, but there is also some down points - I can't see why you don't see that or appreciate that a lot of folk have valid concerns, just as you have some valid points to stay. They are both legit viewpoints!

Last edited by a moderator:
it's miracle any of us managed to go for a terd before the EU.
Is that the European spelling for turd? :D

I thought JohnD would offend the spellcheck :)

There... I have corrected that for you
I mean this in a kind way, but please don't change what I've written just have a dig at someone. Know you don't like each other, but that's nowt to do with me. And of course, lose all chance of having a decent debate when that sort of stuff happens as it just ends up a slanging match :)

I do honestly think, JohnD, that the UK would've been fine with most of those things on the list. We've been an industrious country for many a year and there's no reason why that couldn't have continued. I dare say a lot of things have been rewarding being part of the EU, but there is also some down points - I can't see why you don't see that.
My apologies Blighty, I won't do that to one of your posts again.

For example, the UK had more than a hundred years when it could have brought in a "clean, sewage-free beaches with drinking water and WCs" scheme, but it didn't

It could never have brought in a "no excessive charges on mobile phones in other countries" law.

It couldn't have brought in a "freedom to live, work or invest in other countries" law

It couldn't have brought in a "Europe-wide patent and copyright protection" law

It couldn't have brought in "no paperwork or customs for exports throughout the single market"

It couldn't have brought European countries so close together that war between them would be unthinkable.

Try to give us a few things off that list that the UK could have done, and did do, without EU help or prompting.

Actually, just realised, it wasn't my words changed - sorry! But still, it's a bit pants anyway ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back