Quiz (restricted access)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Disappointed to hear that roads, sanitation and central heating were not on the list...

Letter in the Guardian news paper, some of the right wing fascists on this forum should try and get some alternative information other than The Daily Mail, The Express or The Sun plus other various rags, which they seem to believe in.

"What did the EU ever do for us?
Not much, apart from: providing 57% of our trade;
structural funding to areas hit by industrial decline;
clean beaches and rivers;
cleaner air;
lead free petrol;
restrictions on landfill dumping;
a recycling culture;
cheaper mobile charges;
cheaper air travel;
improved consumer protection and food labelling;
a ban on growth hormones and other harmful food additives;
better product safety;
single market competition bringing quality improvements and better industrial performance;
break up of monopolies;
Europe-wide patent and copyright protection;
no paperwork or customs for exports throughout the single market;
price transparency and removal of commission on currency exchanges across the eurozone;
freedom to travel, live and work across Europe;
funded opportunities for young people to undertake study or work placements abroad;
access to European health services;
labour protection and enhanced social welfare;
smoke-free workplaces;
equal pay legislation;
holiday entitlement;
the right not to work more than a 48-hour week without overtime;
strongest wildlife protection in the world;
improved animal welfare in food production;
EU-funded research and industrial collaboration;
EU representation in international forums;
bloc EEA negotiation at the WTO;
EU diplomatic efforts to uphold the nuclear non-proliferation treaty;
European arrest warrant;
cross border policing to combat human trafficking, arms and drug smuggling; counter terrorism intelligence;
European civil and military co-operation in post-conflict zones in Europe and Africa;
support for democracy and human rights across Europe and beyond;
investment across Europe contributing to better living standards and educational, social and cultural capital.
All of this is nothing compared with its greatest achievements: the EU has for 60 years been the foundation of peace between European neighbours after centuries of bloodshed.
It furthermore assisted the extraordinary political, social and economic transformation of 13 former dictatorships, now EU members, since 1980.
Now the union faces major challenges brought on by neoliberal economic globalisation, and worsened by its own systemic weaknesses. It is taking measures to overcome these. We in the UK should reflect on whether our net contribution of £7bn out of total government expenditure of £695bn is good value. We must play a full part in enabling the union to be a force for good in a multi-polar global future.

Simon Sweeney,

Lecturer in international political economy, University of York"

Sponsored Links
Letter in the Guardian news paper, some of the right wing fascists on this forum should try and get some alternative information other than The Daily Mail, The Express or The Sun plus other various rags, which they seem to believe in.

"What did the EU ever do for us?
Not much, apart from: providing 57% of our trade;
structural funding to areas hit by industrial decline;
clean beaches and rivers;
cleaner air;
lead free petrol;
restrictions on landfill dumping;
a recycling culture;
cheaper mobile charges;
cheaper air travel;
improved consumer protection and food labelling;
a ban on growth hormones and other harmful food additives;
better product safety;
single market competition bringing quality improvements and better industrial performance;
break up of monopolies;
Europe-wide patent and copyright protection;
no paperwork or customs for exports throughout the single market;
price transparency and removal of commission on currency exchanges across the eurozone;
freedom to travel, live and work across Europe;
funded opportunities for young people to undertake study or work placements abroad;
access to European health services;
labour protection and enhanced social welfare;
smoke-free workplaces;
equal pay legislation;
holiday entitlement;
the right not to work more than a 48-hour week without overtime;
strongest wildlife protection in the world;
EU-funded research and industrial collaboration;
EU representation in international forums;
bloc EEA negotiation at the WTO;
EU diplomatic efforts to uphold the nuclear non-proliferation treaty;
European arrest warrant;
cross border policing to combat human trafficking, arms and drug smuggling; counter terrorism intelligence;
European civil and military co-operation in post-conflict zones in Europe and Africa;
support for democracy and human rights across Europe and beyond;
investment across Europe contributing to better living standards and educational, social and cultural capital.
All of this is nothing compared with its greatest achievements: the EU has for 60 years been the foundation of peace between European neighbours after centuries of bloodshed.
It furthermore assisted the extraordinary political, social and economic transformation of 13 former dictatorships, now EU members, since 1980.
Now the union faces major challenges brought on by neoliberal economic globalisation, and worsened by its own systemic weaknesses. It is taking measures to overcome these. We in the UK should reflect on whether our net contribution of £7bn out of total government expenditure of £695bn is good value. We must play a full part in enabling the union to be a force for good in a multi-polar global future.

Simon Sweeney,

Lecturer in international political economy, University of York"
A lot of what you have posted just isn't true is it.I like the bit about "enhanced social welfare"tell that to all the disabled people who have had their benefits slashed and they would laugh at you, What about the "single market competition bringing quality improvements and better industrial performance" claim, LOL, is it true that the EU's share of global GDP has dropped from 30% 20 years ago to 15% today, as for the claim that the EU has kept the peace in Europe, I thought that was the job of NATO.

NATO was set up to delay the advance of the Soviet Union if it encroached by force into Western Europe.

Not to prevent Britain, France, Germany, Italy and Holland having more wars. Peace and unity between the Western European nations was a prerequisite to having NATO work.

The men who instigated the first peaceful and successful integration of Western Europe had lived through the greatest war the world had ever seen. Some of them had also lived through the second greatest war the world had ever seen. Nothing was more important to them than preventing a recurrence.

View media item 3017

Last edited:
What did the EU ever do for us by Simon Sweeney

Gulp. Is that all? Gasbanni, F&I, where are you? Anybody. Tell this guy. Insult him! Blow him out of the water with your clever replies. Attack, attack, attack! I'm going to hibernate until it's all over.

Edited

NATO was set up to delay the advance of the Soviet Union if it encroached by force into Western Europe.

Not to prevent Britain, France, Germany, Italy and Holland having more wars. Peace and unity between the Western European nations was a prerequisite to having NATO work.

The men who instigated the first peaceful and successful integration of Western Europe had lived through the greatest war the world had ever seen. Some of them had also lived through the second greatest war the world had ever seen. Nothing was more important to them than preventing a recurrence.
If NATO was set up to stop the Soviet Union why didn't NATO disband when the Soviet Union was dissolved and why are they getting involved in conflicts outside Europe.

If you want to talk about the history and future of NATO, start your own thread.

The UK, am proud to say (tho still so much more can be done) was the first country in the world to bring in laws to protect animals, and that was to prevent cruelty to cattle back in the 1800s.
The EU may have improved animal welfare in other countries, but as far as I am aware, the UK was already on it's way, bringing in protection of animals act in early 1900's - a general act for all animals.

I can't be proud of anything that happened two hundred years ago, because I didn't do it.

One of the benefits of European Harmonisation of, for example, animal welfare standards, is that producers with costly high standards will not be undercut and forced out of business by producers with lower standards and lower costs.

As Winston Churchill said, when arguing for worker-protection laws, "the good employer is undercut by the bad, and the bad employer is undercut by the worst." Sadly, today's Tories do not share Churchill's views, so the UK likes to opt-out of EU worker-protection regulations, so that our workers can be treated badly. No doubt there are people who look forward to leaving the EU so they can drop their standards still lower. Can you imagine the oily pig-boy saying "It is a serious national evil that any class of His Majesty's subjects should receive less than a living wage in return for their utmost exertions?"

Last edited:
I can't be proud of anything that happened two hundred years ago, because I didn't do it.
Then there's probably not much about the EU to be proud of by your method of reasoning? Strange! Unless of course you personally did anything direct with the EU to improve Europe to date? I guess not tho, being on a DIY forum and all.

I am very proud of our animal welfare acts. We are one of the top countries in the whole world and that's something worth while for sure. I hope it continues to get better but I do not think we would've never come to that conclusion without any input from the EU because we were already on that path.

There are without out doubt excellent reasons to stay in the EU, just as there are some excellent reasons to leave. I don't think it's good to dismiss both sides of the argument, nor take everything we read online as gospel. Do our own research to cut through the spin I think before shouting or dismissing others with different views.

One of the benefits of European Harmonisation of, for example, animal welfare standards, is that producers with costly high standards will not be undercut and forced out of business by producers with lower standards and lower costs.
If only they applied that to animal testing for household products and cosmetics too. Then I would without a shadow of a doubt vote to stay in!

I don't want to hear of them perishing from apoplexy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back