Quotations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
15 should be fine - remember he's probably done hundreds.

I don't do free quotes, except by phone, they they're estimates based on what I'm told. Too many people want an hour's education and advice for nothing.

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
15 should be fine - remember he's probably done hundreds.

I don't do free quotes, except by phone, they they're estimates based on what I'm told. Too many people want an hour's education and advice for nothing.

This is a real bone of contention with me and it makes my blood boil more often that I would like.

Like you Chris, I give estimates either over the telephone or via email and if they are acceptable then I am happy to visit to confirm the details and issue a written quotation.

My quotations are reasonably professional, are in full colour and are enclosed within a laminated company folder. They contain the following:-

* A bespoke letter detailing any observations or confirming any agreements made onsite.
* A formal quotation with a full specification and schedule of works
* Any optional extras that they might like to select at this stage – again in full colour complete with photographs – the Magnaclean is an example of an optional extra
* An order form with the T&C’s printed on the reverse
* Terms and conditions for their records
* Blind reference contact details for the last ten completed jobs
* A postcard explaining that they asked me for the quote and whilst I have no objection to them not using my services, a reason for not doing so would be nice
* A feedback form re the above containing reasons for not using me
* A stamped address envelope to use for either the order form or the feedback form

What is unbelievable (to me) is that the ignorant to$$ers do not bother to tell me the reasons why they are not using me, even though they:-

1) Accepted the estimate
2) Have a friggin' stamped address envelope to use for this very purpose

The feedback form would be very useful to know the reasons why I have not been selected for the job. This would enable me to make a judgement on how I am running my business and whether any changes were necessary. In the absence of this, I am somewhat in the dark.

Maybe these people think that it costs nothing to drive to their homes, note all the relevant details, listen to their concerns and requirements, write it all up, print it all off, prepare it all as I have detailed and then send it to them.

The ignorant s0ds.

I feel so much better now.

Bizarrely, I get most of my work because I do provide a full on free quoting service. Let me explain first - I get my card given out along with four others from a local supplier. The other guys, like you guys have said, don't give give free quotes and only give estimates down the phone based on what the customer asks for. This makes me stand out as Mr-Super-Customer-Service-Man, and more often than not, get the job.

grrinc said:
...This makes me stand out as Mr-Super-Customer-Service-Man, ....

You'll be saying next you don't wear those special plumbers' trousers :LOL:

unexpected_plumbers_crack-794247.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm not saying i'm after an hours education. Just don't want to end up making a mistake. That's all. I give quotes for work i do. Sometimes over the phone and sometimes visits. I don't charge for this at all. I get the job because i'm friendly and helpful and give honest advice. Quoting is part of your business, you make it back when they accept your quote because you've been polite, helpful and haven't tried to over charge and charged a fair rate.

Everybody wants everything for nothing, even you guys! So some middle ground is generally called for.

Most nicely prepared quotation includes a specification!

Firstly any firm wasting time on that is going to be more expensive than a verbal only quote firm.

Secondly, a specification is ideal to take to Polski Plumbers at polishplumbers.co.uk and they will usually do the job for half your price!

I only give prices over the telephone and if they are accepted go there with a written quotation for them to sign as agreed.

Tony

Agile said:

Firstly any firm wasting time on that is going to be more expensive than a verbal only quote firm.

Secondly, a specification is ideal to take to Polski Plumbers at polishplumbers.co.uk and they will usually do the job for half your price!

I only give prices over the telephone and if they are accepted go there with a written quotation for them to sign as agreed.

Tony

I would never let a polish plumber anywhere near my house! He's either english and qualified or not a chance!

Polish workmanship is often better than the English. A very few are CORGI registered too.

I once went to deal with a fault in a quite complicated system with a 45 kW boiler, 300 li unvented and two zones of UFH and one of rads.

All correctly fitted with all the right controls but just one fault !

It took me all of 10 minutes to find that the stat on one of the UFH circuits was connected backwards. I was so surprised that anyone capable of fitting such a complicated system could not apparently correct that.

Tony

doesnt matter what country you come from....its down to your training and work ethic.

we have all seen the poor handywork of locals and foreigners alike

How long does it take preparing that lot, EliteHeat?

15 minutes for a single-sheet free quote "As Discussed" is probably about right.
More than that and it becomes a Survey and Report, which is chargeable!

It depends ow much work you have on..

Agile said:

Tony

That does not even begin to make sense.

An estimate given over the telephone is based on an incomplete assessment of customer expectations, legal requirements, technical difficulties and options available. You cannot possibly be in a position to definitively judge, let alone cost, any of these until you have visited site.

Any document that you are expecting a prospective customer to sign is a legal contract. I cannot see how you could possibly turn up with a quote / contract for a sight-unseen proposition.

In addition, it would be extremely unprofessional to expect a customer to sign any sort of document without allowing them time to consider both your and others quotations. If anyone expected that of me then I would class him or her as being no better than opportunistic double-glazing salesmen offering a special deal that is valid for one day only and show them the door.

Any contract must include a specification. It is not a question of it being nicely prepared, it is a question of defining the scope and terms of goods and services being provided in return for remuneration. Unless your normal practise is to take back your ‘quote’ unless the customer signs it in your presence, then it will of course be available for others to see and compete with. I do this routinely as I am sure do others.

My original point was that I was frustrated by the inconsiderate approach that some prospects take with regard to withholding information that would be useful to me when I have provided them with every means of doing so at no cost to themselves.

I am not saying that my approach is right, but I cannot see how yours is even workable. You puzzle me sometimes Agile, with your constant almost pedantic challenging of others posts. It often seems to me that rather than add to the sum of any particular thread, you seek to diminish others contributions.

You undoubtedly have great experience of fixing boilers but this is not the same skill as that necessary to secure work. In fact, the two are very often mutually exclusive.

ChrisR said:
How long does it take preparing that lot, EliteHeat?

15 minutes for a single-sheet free quote "As Discussed" is probably about right.
More than that and it becomes a Survey and Report, which is chargeable!

It depends ow much work you have on..

Not too long. It is based on a background MS Access database so products, photos, prices, terms, headers, footers, graphics etc are held within the system.

The advantage to me is that it enables me to prepare a fully coordinated and streamlined quotation ‘pack’ in a very short space of time. Because it is held on a database, it makes some things very simple such as the automatic inclusion of contact details for the last ten completed jobs.

Because it is prepared in full colour, the bit that takes longest is printing. I usually go and have a cup of tea whilst this is going on.

A bit geekish I admit!

If someone is providing a FREE estimate (surprised it is an estimate and not a QUOTE that I am always asked for) after visiting a prospective client and getting just about every job, there is something wrong there or charges are too low/ corner are cut.

Before getting on the soap box just stand back and consider. A boiler change is no longer a boiler change. System has to be cleaned (allow one day), cylinder has to be replaced or gas line uprated if combi is to be fitted, system has to be upgraded for Part J and rad valves (often) need replacing and then signing the completed logbook. Above all boiler needs to be fitted with maintenance gaps around it for service purposes (often ignored). When you have taken all this into consideration and priced it, no way anyone is going to compete against some one working for beer money.

I do not do estimates or quotes. I will price a job for those that want me to do it. They obviously get a written detailed quote for specific material and appliances. All plumbing is copper. As I would be required to look after the system, I ensure servicing etc will not be a problem due to badly sited appliance.

I would rather go and service a boiler (and be paid for it) instead of wasting time like Chris says.

I say raise the standard instead of compete with a shoddy worker

grrinc said:
This makes me stand out as Mr-Super-Customer-Service-Man, and more often than not, get the job.
S'funny - I must provide appalling customer service then, because I never quote. I guess my customers aren't of the type who want to waste the time of tradesmen/companies when asking several for quotes and then selecting only one.

EliteHeat said:
What is unbelievable (to me) is that the ignorant to$$ers do not bother to tell me the reasons why they are not using me...
I don't know if this helps you EH, because sometimes it's just good to have a rant and get the frustration out, but to me the reason is obvious:

When people request a quote, they [invariably] ask more than one supplier. Not always, I grant you, but mostly they do. When selecting one of those, the reasons are rarely objective, and, also mostly, dictated by the trouser-wearer in the house. I think you know what I mean by that.

As a result, the reason for rejecting those who haven't been selected isn't easy to document, and any motivation to complete a form and post it off is easily defeated by laziness. It's just human nature.

When I used to work in a position where tendering was both necessary and frequent, the most effective way of finding out the real reason(s) for rejection was to pick up the phone and have a chat; after lunch was generally the best time to get someone in a relaxed enough frame of mind. ;)

Quotations

To be or not to be,whether tis nobler in the blah blah blah ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back