Quote for decorator - 5 days (large living room, kitchen)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One coat already done (by family member who made a mess!).

Large living room (two colours split by dado).
Large kitchen (same two colours and dado).
Small utility room
Gloss dado
Gloss two doors
Gloss window sill
Gloss coving in living room/kitchen

Been quoted £85/day which seems very good but 5 days which seems a lot.

Sponsored Links
We can't see the job so have no idea what prep or remedial work has to be done first and therefore can't say if it's too long. The day rate is low end so maybe the guy takes his time to do a good job but 5 days doesn't seem overly long if he has to deal with a 'mess'. Then again, maybe he isn't very good so takes a long time to do the work. Have you seen his work anywhere else?

We can't see the job so have no idea what prep or remedial work has to be done first and therefore can't say if it's too long. The day rate is low end so maybe the guy takes his time to do a good job but 5 days doesn't seem overly long if he has to deal with a 'mess'. Then again, maybe he isn't very good so takes a long time to do the work. Have you seen his work anywhere else?

True enough. To be honest, it all needs another coat mainly. And the first guy tried to paint gloss on top of gloss which apparently doesnt work well.

Nah. Havent seen their work. Maybe I should have?
At least I can refuse to pay if this is crap.

I'd want £425 just for the lounge. If i was you my worry would be why is he so cheap not how fast he is.

Sponsored Links
I'd want £425 just for the lounge. If i was you my worry would be why is he so cheap not how fast he is.

A 'she'. But this time if its not good I get to kick off and not pay (or at least demand it gets sorted)

A 'she'. But this time if its not good I get to kick off and not pay (or at least demand it gets sorted)

Ask to see some of her other work locally, or for a recommendation from a satisfied customer (locally)?

I agree that the lounge by itself would normally be £400 ish.

I would want to start the job again prepping to my standard.£85 a day is very cheap and yes 5 days is about right to do the job properly.I could tosh it out in 2 days but would be a lot more then £85 a day

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back