Quote of £998 from UK Power Networks to disconnect supply

Can you please explain the process of how they will cap the live cable by preventing themselves from getting electrocuted?

Sponsored Links
Carefully ;)
But seriously... By being highly trained in working with live electricity, to work to very strict procedures and using correct PPE.

Last edited:
By having a Safe System of Working on Live Supplies and strictly adhering to it.
These guys work 'Live' most days of the week and should be thoroughly trained in using every safe method and equipment to ensure their, and others, safety.
The exact procedure of doing it though is beyond my knowledge.

I understand from the comments this isn't the best job, but you get an idea

and slightly unrelated, look at the size of his lug! (6m30ish)

Sponsored Links
When the cable is eventually cut/terminated, do other houses in the street temporarily lose their power?

To confuse matters further is there any risk that the cable on the other end of the house that's feeding my other supply, might go permanently dead if this one is terminated? Both are coming from the street pavement.

Sometimes a pair of semis will be on the same drop cable.
Or even detached properties. When I moved to my last home in England in 1997 there was an overhead drop from a nearby pole to my neighbor's house onto the old-style bracket with individual porcelain insulators, a splice there for his service, then continuing across both of our front yards to a similar bracket on my house. A few years later my neighbor had a lot of work done on his house including moving to an external meter cabinet and having a new underground feed from the pole. The overheads were simply removed from his old bracket and reterminated at the pole to take up the slack. When I left, you could still see the old splice points on the cables, now mid-air over my neighbor's front garden.

Sometimes a pair of semis will be on the same drop cable.
Or even detached properties. When I moved to my last home in England in 1997 there was an overhead drop from a nearby pole to my neighbor's house onto the old-style bracket with individual porcelain insulators, a splice there for his service, then continuing across both of our front yards to a similar bracket on my house.
Indeed so, particularly with overhead supplies. Mine comes from a pole in a neighbour's garden. Only three cables leave the pole, to supply a total of 11 properties in my little corner of the village. The cables supplying my house also supplies the two neighbouring properties, but that's a bit of a cheat because all three properties were once (until about 65 years ago) just 'one'. However, that only leaves 2 cables from the pole for the remaining 8 properties (most of which, admittedly, are pretty small).

Kind Regards, John

Mine comes from a pole in a neighbour's garden. Only three cables leave the pole, to supply a total of 11 properties in my little corner of the village. The cables supplying my house also supplies the two neighbouring properties, but that's a bit of a cheat because all three properties were once (until about 65 years ago) just 'one'. However, that only leaves 2 cables from the pole for the remaining 8 properties (most of which, admittedly, are pretty small).
As you say, all quite common with overhead supplies in rural areas especially. Where I lived there was all manner of short branches from the main distribution run to poles which then fed four, five, six more homes. The pole from which our drop came was sited about 100 ft. back from the main run on the road and fed with two phases plus neutral. My house, my next door neighbor, and I think the house next to him were all on one phase. The other phase then had runs around the back of our properties to the homes on either side of our group of three. There were other places where a single-phase branch would run to a pole situated between the backs of properties with about four drops from it - two homes on one road and two on the other.

The often-supposed "neat" arrangement of homes being connected R-Y-B-R-Y-B-R-Y-B in sequence along a road often doesn't apply in rural areas. (Or even sometimes in towns, e.g. where all the homes on one side street might be R-Y-R-Y-R-Y, on the next street R-B-R-B-R-B and on the next Y-B-Y-B-Y-B - very common in districts which were once on d.c. mains.)

As you say, all quite common with overhead supplies in rural areas especially. Where I lived there was all manner of short branches from the main distribution run to poles which then fed four, five, six more homes. The pole from which our drop came was sited about 100 ft. back from the main run on the road and fed with two phases plus neutral. My house, my next door neighbor, and I think the house next to him were all on one phase.
Ah, I overlooked the phases :oops: The "three cables coming from the pole" (serving a total of 11 properties) may well all be 3P+N. 'Mine' certainly is - I get all 3 phases, but my two neighbours get just one each. It's therefore possible that these "three cables" actually represent 9 phase conductors, supplying the 11 properties (albeit I'm greedy and get three phase conductors, albeit two of them are 'shared').

Kind Regards, John

Ah, I overlooked the phases :oops: The "three cables coming from the pole" (serving a total of 11 properties) may well all be 3P+N.
Aerial bundled cable? At my former home above they came out and replaced all of the distribution with it about a year before I left, as they were starting to get more and more faults on the network. One such had occurred a couple of years earlier: Suddenly had all the lights in the house flickering one windy winter night and heard massive arcing from outside, then all went quiet. It was only when I looked outside next morning that I saw the old cable head on the underground feeder to the overheads on the pole right at the front of my property had corroded away enough to fall from its mounting. I think I probably have some pictures in my archive somewhere....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back