Quote of £998 from UK Power Networks to disconnect supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two separate supplies coming into my property.
I have just had a quote of £998 inc VAT to have the power supply removed. This seems quite expensive (they will cap it off in the pavement in the street).

Is this a cheap / average / expensive price that your Sparkies have come across? Am I able to use any other authorised sub-contractor (or is that only for moving of supplies)?

Sponsored Links
At that price, I'd just leave the spare supply there. Assuming the cable isn't actually in the way of something you want to do.

Unfortunately it smack bang in the middle of part of an opening we need to demolish. We could get it moved a meter or two to the side and bottom but I'm sure that will not be cheap either hence my thoughts of just getting it removed altogether.

I have two separate supplies coming into my property. I have just had a quote of £998 inc VAT to have the power supply removed.
have you actually been 'using' this second supply - i.e. have an account/contract in relation to it, and are paying at least a Standing Charge for it? If not, have you ever used it?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yes to both questions. In active use. As part of house remodeling we will be using the other supply going forward.

Yes to both questions. In active use. As part of house remodeling we will be using the other supply going forward.
Ah - so much for what was in my mind, then!

As for your question, the price you've been quoted is probably in the ballpark I tend to hear about. The actually capping off of the supply will not take them all that long, but if it involves digging up (and making good) pavements (quite possibly requiring permits) etc., there are probably a goodly few man-hours of work involved.

Kind Regards, John

Unfortunately it smack bang in the middle of part of an opening we need to demolish. We could get it moved a meter or two to the side and bottom but I'm sure that will not be cheap either hence my thoughts of just getting it removed altogether.

Have you asked for a quote for moving the head, as JohnW2 quite rightly points out for the DNO the disconnection involves digging up pavements etc. However you may find that they are willing to move the supply head for free or for a more reasonable fee you could then a month or so later ask for that head to be "de-energised" thus leaving the supply head in the more convenient place but involving the DNO pulling the cut-out and putting a blank in. I know that my DNO charge about £60 for de-energising a supply, so if you could get the redundant head moved for free or even say a couple of hundred quid then this route could be a considerable saving.

I'm very curious to know what you would have suggested had I said no it's not in use.

Probably something along the lines of that because you have never used it or paid any fees towards its upkeep you should not be held responsible for it being there and that they should cap it off free of charge.

Not as yet no but that was going to be my next course of action I.e. Quote for moving it.

I also heard about a free move of up to 1m but in practice haven't seen it formally confirmed.

I'm very curious to know what you would have suggested had I said no it's not in use.
Probably something along the lines of that because you have never used it or paid any fees towards its upkeep you should not be held responsible for it being there and that they should cap it off free of charge.
Exactly. Had it been a second supply that the OP 'inherited', but had never used, nor had any contract to use, then it would essentially just be DNO equipment that was 'trespassing' on his property. In that situation, not only would I suspect that they might well have capped it FOC, but the OP might well have been able to 'demand' that they moved their unwanted equipment from his property!

Sadly, for the OP, that's not the situation!

Kind Regards, John

Well if the truth be told, the house has never been lived in for 2 years whilst we were sorting out the planning consent but electrical usage was some £50 per year in a no standing charge tariff. Not sure that will convince them though but I might try :)

Well if the truth be told, the house has never been lived in for 2 years whilst we were sorting out the planning consent but electrical usage was some £50 per year in a no standing charge tariff. Not sure that will convince them though but I might try :)
There's no harm in trying, but I think that what I was thinking about goes out of the window if you used any electricity from that supply at all (which indicates at least an implicit contract for its use).

Kind Regards, John

Sounds about right.

It will require an opening notice. A gang to dig it out one day, a jointer and mate to cut and pot end, then reinstatement.

I'm assuming there's nothing about this existing service which might, in the DNO's mind, render it a liability? If it were deteriorating old cable, an old cast iron cut-out with asbestos within etc. you might be able to convince them to remove it for free.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back