quote quandary

An easy way to save all the grief is to simply wrote 'non negotiable' a couple of spaces down from the price.

That way they know your straight and mean business.

Sponsored Links
I am not into haggling as over the years I heard many,many blokes say "If you give me a cheap price now I will give you a lot of work"

I tell them Let me rob you this time and next time I will feel sorry for you.

Actually the price I do give it is NO negotiating as once that you do your dead in the water as if you come down a lot your a crook in the first place.

Charge the right price and stick to it

As previously said a quote is a quote it's not an estimate. Exceptionally if a customer wants cheaper then I may pick cheaper materials but they will be told that and that I refuse to offer any warranty on them. My business relies on its standards. I may lose some jobs through being more expensive but call backs are very rare. There are plenty of cowboys out there - who may be cheaper (frequently not) but then charge for loads of extras.

if you price a job properly and then haggle, you only put yourself under financial and time pressure. Thats when it normally goes wrong!

Sponsored Links
i don't know if you guys are in the same line of work as me, but at the end of calculating a quote, the profit is added at the end as a percentage.

on a smallish extension, say £12,000, the profit may have to be as much as 20%.

on a larger job, say £50,000 it could be as little as 10%.

the profit margin is dependant upon difficulty. if a job involves a lot of alterations to the existing property, then it is highly likely the job will be time consuming. similarly, a job largely involved in new-build is fairly straightforward.

for this particular customer it was only the profit margin that was altered, and it was a job that was rich in new work, i.e. single storey extension, using an existing window as the knock-through. i was not at all nervous about reducing the cost, so long as the customer was aware that i had the freedom to increase costs where necessary.

i agree, it is important to be professional at all times and to be on your guard. i have even done pro bono work for charity run institutions. i could not do free work all year round, but i will help where i can. i was not asked to work for free, i simply never sent the charity group a bill.

i do earn a decent crust for most of the year so a little charity once a year helps keep me 'on the good side'. ;)

As previously said a quote is a quote it's not an estimate. Exceptionally if a customer wants cheaper then I may pick cheaper materials but they will be told that and that I refuse to offer any warranty on them.

If you supply the goods, the sale of goods act gives the buyer rights to an expectation of fit for purpose and of merchantable quality. You cannot remove their statutory rights, no matter what they agree to, or sign. If you want to avoid the liability, give them a list and tell them to go shopping.

Back