Quotes and VAT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I need some help from traders on here as I'm a bit confused.

My father needed a garage splitting in half to create a utility room. I used rated people to find a local builder who came out and measured up and sent me a quote of £1350. This included some other bits that were written on the quote.

We had some issues with the work but they finally sorted it this week and emailed me the bill. However, they have now added VAT.

I have checked the company and they are VAT registered. However, I was under the impression that when an individual is quoted unless it says otherwise then VAT can be presumed in law to be included. The figure he sent me said TOTAL = 1350.

I understand that businesses can expect to have vat added to their bill but this does not seem right for an individual. He has quoted me a figure and seems to now be trying to increase his payment presumably to cover his mistakes.

Does anyone know where I stand LEGALLY and if I'm right that he can't charge more.

P.S Please don't post that I should have clarified this at first. I know now but I arranged this for my dad and was so busy I didn't have time.

Sponsored Links
If Vat wasn't mentioned then you would be correct in assuming it was already included.

can you paste and post the answers as i am not a subscriber

thanks

I took out the link when I noticed it was subscriber only but it says

"As a matter of VAT law, the “consideration” for a supply includes VAT. We can see that VATA 1994, s 19(2) states:

(2) If the supply is for a consideration in money its value shall be taken to be such amount as, with the addition of the VAT chargeable, is equal to the consideration.

So if a price is agreed without any reference to VAT, the supplier is not entitled to ask for more money later if it turns out that the supply should always have been charged to VAT."

Sponsored Links
common trick, beat other quotes then add another 20% onto the bill at the end and see how many pay it without question.

don't pay a penny more than you agreed!

Many thanks for your reply. I've told him that I don't intend to pay him any more that he quoted. He says he will forward it all on to hmrc and I will hear from them. I'm not entirely sure what they can do about it since it's his tax.

Tell him you are happy to pay Vat which is, or should be, included in his original quote but you are not paying for his error in not stating the quote was excluding Vat.

just a last attempt at trying to make you pay the extra. as you stated, hmrc would be asking HIM hard questions, not the consumer.

Send a copy of his quote to Trading Standards and get their take on it
All of my Quotes state "Excluding VAT" and if the quote is to a domestic household I indicate what that vat element will be it is common courtesy

Good luck ;)

Send a copy of his quote to Trading Standards and get their take on it
All of my Quotes state "Excluding VAT" and if the quote is to a domestic household I indicate what that vat element will be it is common courtesy

Good luck ;)

It isn't a "courtesy", it is a legal requirement for all quotations or prices offered to domestic customers. VAT MUST be included. Which is why restaurants always include it, but feel free to charge 10 - 15% extra for "service"

Sponsored Links
Back