Quotes for replacement electrical sockets and switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All

I've recieved two quotes to chase in existing sockets, add new ones and finish with screwed stainless steel facias. A bit confused as one quote is for £850 and the other for £2054, both figures are inclusive of VAT and all materials. The works required comprise, the chasing in of 8 two gang plug sockets, provision of 4 two gang plug sockets, 1 new telephone point, 1 new bathroom pull cord, 3 new tv points and chase in 5 existing light switches. The property is a first floor victorian two bed flat around 750 sq ft.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

James

Sponsored Links
Assuming the cheaper one appears reliable, there would appear to be no point in paying £2050 if you can get it for less than half that. I'd get a third quote and see if it could be done cheaper. On the information given this is a DIY job anyway, going to be messy though.

There could be many reasons for price difference. First point to remember this is a labour intensive job so materials will have little effect to price.

So first question is are the two quotes for the same work? If you intends to redecorate and the other expects you to make good and decorate this would explain the difference.

This also includes how much clearing up will be done. I had a water leak and the plaster and decorator removed all their mess and left the place cleaner than when they started.

However the carpet fitters left all their rubbish in the drive.

Assuming same job then there is the companies own situation if they are short of work they may give a low quote to ensure they get the job rather than lay men off. On the other hand with full order books one may add to real price as really you don't want the job.

It is likely to be a combination but also there is who is doing the job. If the guy is just starting a business then he is likely under paying himself and under estimating how long the job will take.

My sister went for cheapest quote in getting my parents wet room built she was proud of her bargaining power. Was to have take three weeks after 6 they walked off job leaving it incomplete and the rest of the family had to put it right.

So only way you will be able to get some idea as to what is right price is to get another quote but be very careful to make sure you know exactly what is being quoted for.

Sponsored Links
Very good advice from ericmark.

To the original poster, reliability is worth paying extra for, I know it shouldn't be, but that's the nature of the game I'm afraid. Unfortunately you often don't discover is somebody is reliable until it's too late.

Re prices for that work. Round here, which is cheaper than London, the only electrician I would recommend to others will price a job like yours at £40 per item (socket/light/switch). So you have approx 20 items I think, which is about your lowest quote.

So on the face of it, given that times are not too good right now and I would expect prices to be competitive, your lower price seems about right.

No harm in trying to get a cheaper one, but you have to weigh into the equation the value of the time you spend having to get the quote. Also, if it takes a day for you to clean up the mess, that your time is also to be priced into the equation.

Don't pay until the job is complete and you get any certificates, which if he is a self certifying electrician he will be duty bound to give you.

And a thought which occurred to me..

...screwed stainless steel facias...provision of 4 two gang plug sockets...

Maybe it's an old rewirable, and the main and supplementary bonding is not up to scratch, no lighting cpcs etc, and the £2K guy wants to replace the CU and sort all the problems out (as he should) and the £850 man is a cowboy who isn't going to do any of that.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Both companies looked over the property, and were presented with a list of the items. I also presented them with a plan of the locations I wanted the new items, hence the reason why i'm a little confused by the disparity between the quotes.

How many possible reasons for the disparity do you want us to list before you are no longer confused?

Ban-all-sheds, you asked whether both parties had the same statement of works, I've responded that they did. So perhaps no need to get narky about it.

Once again thanks to those that have assisted with their advice.

I think your statement of works is more a statement of requirements. The actual work required would then be determined by looking at the existing installation and working out what needs to be done to meet your requirements.

So why not ask both companies for a detailed breakdown of the actual work they are intending to carry out - then you may be able to see why there is such a difference.

Ban-all-sheds, you asked whether both parties had the same statement of works, I've responded that they did.
No - you gave them the requirements, they told you what work they would do in order to meet those requirements, and you've been given several areas where their decisions on what they would do could affect the price quite dramatically - making good, bonding, new CU etc. It's possible for example that the lighting circuit could need a complete rewire for metal switches to be fitted safely.

All of those variables could easily account for the difference in price.

I've been looking at hourly rates charged by reputable companies in London recently and there can be a massive difference.
The very large plumbing company charge £90 per hour for their electrical work no matter what they do (same for their plumbing services) and other firms can charge anywhere from £35-£75ph, maybe it's simply their rates causing the discrepancy :)

I would scrutinise exactly what the £850 man will do. As mentioned above, you could have a bargain from a new starter.
Nothing to say he is a cowboy, everyone has to start somewhere and what he may lack in experience may be made up for in lack of bad habits and a methodical approach.

Or you may have a cowboy.

Assuming that all of the points on your list are to be metal fronted, i think you have at least £200 of materials at a middle of the road quality, but you could pay more for high end stuff.
Then you have to consider what remedial steps may need to be taken to fit these.
If the wiring is old, it may be necessary to run out cpcs to switch points.
Newly buried cables now (generally) require RCD protection, (chuck another £30 on materials for that.)
Bonding/earthing brought up to standard (cable required for this isn't the cheapest)
Then, again as mentioned, there's the clean-up/chase filling etc.

I suggest that you get another quote see how it compares, i just have a feeling that the £850 may be a little too low for a thorough job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back