Rad removal.....HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I need to remove a rad to install some french doors. I know how to drain the heating system from reading the wiki on here, turn of water, drain rads....
Q.1 How do you refill the system,, is it just a case of turning the water back on and refiling the system from the expansion tank in the loft.??
Q.2 How do you put inhibiter into the system.???
Q.3 Do I need to join the two tails together to complete the circuit or can i just blank them off..??

Many thanks
Lee

Sponsored Links
Q.1 How do you refill the system,, is it just a case of turning the water back on and refiling the system from the expansion tank in the loft.??

If its a small then yes.
If its a large tank, that supplies hot water cylinder, do not put inhibitor in large tank.

Q.2 How do you put inhibiter into the system.???

In the small tank, before filling

Q.3 Do I need to join the two tails together to complete the circuit or can i just blank them off..??

Joining them will make a mini circuit and the pipes will get hot. Blanking them will be ok if its just a short run. Better still find where the "t" off main pipe work and blank them there.

1) Yes turn water on, having cleaned out any gunk in the tank first. If there's lots of gunk in the tank, scoop the big stuff out before draining, otherwise it will lodge in parts of your system.

2) Pour the inhibitor into the tank immediately after the water has been turned on, and the tank/system begins to refill. It will wash the inhibitor down into the system.

3) Blank the two tails off. Joining them will create a short-circuit that will rob other rads of flow/heat.

Don't forget to bleed the pump after re-filling, by unscrewing the large screw in the middle and waiting until you get a trickle of water. Do this before re-starting the ch system. You may get airlocks in the system, post again for advice if you do.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replys guys....I will be doing the work on friday afternoon so if i need any more help I will sure to post then.....

Thanks for the tip on bleeding the pump :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Lee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back