Rad valve leak??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Radiator in the attached pic has only been in place for 6 months and was brand new. I’ve noticed this has got slowly worse so can only assume it’s a leaky valve? I never see any visible water but the pipe is corroded as is the underneath of the rad. What would you suggest needs doing to resolve this and put it right?

Thank you
WB

Attachments

• 0471B9DF-E66D-4909-80DE-146EED42D2AD.jpeg
    0471B9DF-E66D-4909-80DE-146EED42D2AD.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 73
Sponsored Links
The bottom of the radiator has chipped paint and looks rusty, if that’s only 6 months old I think you have a bigger problem than just that valve.

1. Most likely leaking from the (large) union nut which connects the radiator tail to the valve outlet.
2. Given that the pipe up from the floor looks crooked, may also be leaking from the compression joint between the pipe and the valve inlet.
3. Valve needs to be removed and either replaced or cleaned up properly. Unless you know what you are doing this requires the system to be drained down.
4. Ideally, connect a new piece of pipe to the existing, having cut the existing a couple of inches above the floor. The new pipe should have a set in it so that it comes straight into the valve. However, done carefully, you could probably get away with what's there.
5. Clean the union fitting attached to the radiator tail to get rid of all corrosion and any old sealant.
6. Clean the compression fitting on the end of the pipe, again getting rid of all corrosion and old sealant. Make sure the olive is in good condition and has not been forced into and narrowed the pipe. If it needs it, replace the olive, which may require shortening the existing pipe and cutting in a new piece with an undamaged end.
7. Smear a little Jet Lube V2 onto the mating surfaces of the union joint. Do the union joint up fairly loosely (say three threads fully engaged).
8. Make the compression joint from the bottom of the valve onto the pipe. Again, do it up loosely. I would use Jet Lube again, although for new fittings it shouldn't be necessary, but given the slight misalignment I'd treat it as belt and braces.
9. Alternately tighten up the union nut and the compression fitting, say a thread at a time, which should pull the pipe over enough if you haven't done 4. above.
10. Refill the system if drained. Test

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back