rad valve tool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
fitting rad valves, is it an allen key to tighten the coupling part of the valve which screws into the radiator itself? if so what size is it please?

cheers! :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the information. How can we tell what tool to use? We haven't seen the valve.

If its a 3/4" then pop into a merchant and they'll sell you the key, or a universal end for a ratchet is much better if you've a few to do. If its 1/2" you'll only need a spanner.

Oh come on, I've seen 1/2 inch which are allen key, dogged AND spanner (not on the same fitting though).

Sponsored Links
haha ok, I can see I was a little vague there :oops: I figured this would be a standard size - as I see it there are the 2 parts to the valve, the part which attaches to either the flow or return pipework, and the part which threads into the radiator itself with PTFE tape wrapped around the thread, I tried to put these in in the highest quality bodged fashion (ie without the right tool) but one drips a tiny bit when the system is cold, so I'll have to disconnect the rad and nip them up properly, meaning that I can't actually get to them now, and wasn't planning on taking them off until I have the right tool in hand... But I did notice that they were meant to be tightened with an allen key or similar inserted into the hole through which the water flows..... I'll stop now as the more I talk the more complicated it sounds, and hope you'll know what I mean

btw I did look at the time if a 3/8 ratchet end would fit but this seemed too big

They are about 12 mm ( but not necessarily 12 mm !!! )

The standard tool is about £3 in a plumbers merchant. If you do lots then get a hex key of the right size that fits a 1/2" socket set.

The standard tool has a grooved end to suit the round female with two nibs.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back