Radials vs Rings

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading all the pro's and con's regarding radial vs ring mains and the replies I actually wonder how many of you so called experts have actually carried out a full 5 year electrical apprenticeship? Radials or rings, come on it dont get any more simple, what the hell would you experts do if you came across a star delta starter without a drawing that had gone faulty? Oh sorry I forgot I dont think part P covers that. Be honest with yourselves.If you cant do that then your not an electrician because that would be like a first aider at work calling himself a heart sergeon. Please dont bother to reply to this either but that is what us real electricians think of you amateurs

Sponsored Links
I have carried out a full appentiship, I managed to do it on 4 years, although quite irrelevant, as is a delta star starter when discussing ring final and radial circuits. I would love to hear the veiws of a time served arrogant idiot though, so since you commented, perhaps you should cough up your opinions (i'm sure you have many)?

After reading all the pro's and con's regarding radial vs ring mains and the replies I actually wonder how many of you so called experts have actually carried out a full 5 year electrical apprenticeship? Radials or rings, come on it dont get any more simple, what the hell would you experts do if you came across a star delta starter without a drawing that had gone faulty? Oh sorry I forgot I dont think part P covers that. Be honest with yourselves.If you cant do that then your not an electrician because that would be like a first aider at work calling himself a heart sergeon. Please dont bother to reply to this either but that is what us real electricians think of you amateurs

twit

Sponsored Links

they didnt teach you spelling then???

oh and i did 5 years, and i prefer radials.. any way any circuit will do so long it is designed correctly, it is personal choice..

they didnt teach you spelling then???

oh and i did 5 years, and i prefer radials.. any way any circuit will do so long it is designed correctly, it is personal choice..
Maybe he had the same teacher as you.

Ring MAINS! I am impressed.
Not many of us have worked on the supply side.

Whatever next I wonder, Power Factor?

I have seen rings with 32A mcbs at the CU, and some with 40A mcbs. I assume 40A is fine. Is that so?

As an aside. What is the maximum current capacity of a 2.5mm cable at 230V?

I have seen rings with 32A mcbs at the CU, and some with 40A mcbs. I assume 40A is fine. Is that so?
Theoretically it could be, but it would need to be properly designed by someone who knew what he was doing.

The "off-the-shelf" ring final circuit which is exempt from the usual rules for parallel conductors and cable ratings may only be 30/32A.

As an aside. What is the maximum current capacity of a 2.5mm cable at 230V?
The same as it is at 23V.

And it depends how it's installed.

Thanks sheds.

I have seen some 40A mcbs on general ring circuits in new homes. I see Boone's table has 2.5mm rated at 18.5A (lowest) in a wall and 30A free (highest). So, I would assume a mixture of the two (most free under floors) would be around 25A per 2.5mm cable. That gives a theoretical maximum of 50A on the ring.

is this a leg pull?

I have seen some 40A mcbs on general ring circuits in new homes.
are you sure? Much more likely on a 40A cooker radial in 6mm cable.

So, I would assume a mixture of the two (most free under floors) would be around 25A per 2.5mm cable.
you haven't heard the expression "weakest link in the chain?"

I have seen some 40A mcbs on general ring circuits in new homes.

You have not.

I see Boone's table has 2.5mm rated at 18.5A (lowest) in a wall and 30A free (highest). So, I would assume a mixture of the two (most free under floors) would be around 25A per 2.5mm cable. That gives a theoretical maximum of 50A on the ring.

You don't add the ratings together, only the lowest one is applicable. A 32A ring final with cable rated at 18.5A does not comply with the regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back