Radiator age

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Something Ive been wondering about recently is the age of my radiators, I have a Worcester 24i Boiler which I think was fitted around 2007 (before I bought the house) Ive recently added additional loft insulation but the house is still generally cold

This has led me to question the radiators, we dont have TRV fitted to any radiators and I believe the radiators are original so approximately 25 - 30 years old.

They are hot to touch but I read newer (double) radiators are more efficient, perhaps the current ones do not reach the optimum temperature, so should radiators be replaced after a certain time?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Radiators don't wear out, they'll be as warm as they always have been, unless they're full of sludge but they shouldn't be that soon after a boiler change. Try turning the thermostat on the boiler up, if you're still cold then new rads will help

Thanks, did that actually when I was in the loft this morning, it was on 4 so I turned it up to 5.5.

So any reputable company would flush the system before doing a boiler change?

Yes you should always get a flush as part of a boiler change, failure to flush will almost always invalidate the warranty

Sponsored Links
Don't change them in the name of efficiency. Unless they are really clogged it will only make a tiny difference.

Once the boiler has heated the water all the radiator has to do is shed it. A larger radiator will lose heat to the room quicker (which is what you want of course) but then the boiler will kick in to keep the circulating water hot. So you will use more gas. Of course that is compensated for by the house getting up to temperature a little earlier, and then the boiler switches off again.

So, net net, you're not going to save energy costs by getting new radiators. Instead, turn up the boiler temperature on the boiler to get the house warmer more quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back